Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 11, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 11, 2012

      When blessing is denied

      "Esau said, 'Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he
      has supplanted me these two times. He took away my
      birthright; and look, now he has taken away my
      blessing.' Then he said, 'Have you not reserved a
      blessing for me?'"
      Genesis 27:36

      The concept of blessing is ancient and found in
      many cultures. We can learn and appropriate the
      Jewish tradition of blessing for our own use in
      modern Western cultural contexts. If we get a
      blessing from our parents, we can be a source of
      blessing to others and ourselves. Families that
      withhold or deny blessings are very hurtful to
      their children.

      Blessing is well documented in the Middle East.
      In ancient Jewish culture, blessing was part of
      daily and weekly life. Before children could
      walk, they received blessings from their parents,
      on the Sabbath, and other holy days. It was
      actually the duty of parents to bless their
      children. It was then the duty of the rabbis to
      bless the children on Sabbath, feast, and other
      holy days. A family blessing is important to
      communicate a sense of identity, meaning, love,
      and acceptance. Many orthodox Jewish families
      give their children a weekly blessing by candle
      light. They speak special words of love and
      acceptance for each child.

      I have listened to many people over the years
      when their families reject them. I wonder if
      parents truly understand the pain caused when a
      blessing is denied their children. People are
      denied parental blessing for many reasons.
      Perhaps a desperate woman had an abortion, or
      another has taken drugs. Many parents from
      abusive homes never received a blessing them-
      selves and pass on their destructive behaviors
      to the next generation. Denied blessing can
      lead to desperate and destructive behaviors as
      people look for love in all the wrong places.

      The six most healing words in the world are "God
      bless you" and "I love you." When was the last
      time we spoke those words to someone in our
      family? When was the last time we shared these
      words with friends? Have we denied someone their
      blessing through our words or actions?

      God, even if others may have denied me a blessing,
      help me bless them. Amen.

      pay on line using your credit card!
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com