Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 12, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 12, 2012

      Our bodies have a spiritual vocabulary

      "And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and
      we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father's
      only son, full of grace and truth."
      John 1:14

      The most popularly used Greek word for body is soma,
      which refers to the whole human being of body,
      emotions, intelligence, and will. Soma means all
      our feelings, personalities, spirit, and physical
      experiences of hunger, thirst, sexual desires,
      fatigue, pain, pleasure, and joy. Tasting, feeling,
      seeing, and hearing is part of our soma vocabulary.
      If we are feeling tired, we probably are in need of
      rest. Exhaustion and fatigue are often precursors
      of illness and emotional breakdowns. Sleep is not
      only a time for healing our body, but a time for
      healing our spirit. Sometimes our moods may be
      telling us to pay attention to our bodies.

      How we relate to our bodies profoundly influences
      our inner wellness, our spirituality, how we relate
      to one another, and how we live. If we have contempt
      for even one part of our body, it is deeply damaging
      to the whole. We can gain great insights by simply
      observing our own body language.

      Jesus came to earth in human form. He taught many
      wonderful spiritual truths, but we frequently forget
      what he modeled for us. Our bodies have a vocabulary,
      which can help or hinder our spiritual wellness. We
      are embodied creatures just like Jesus. He laughed
      and cried, rested and played, worked and slept. He
      still lives among us today, showing us the fullness
      of God's grace and truth.

      God, thank you for my body. Show me how my body
      vocabulary helps or hinders my prayer life. Amen.