Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 5, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 5, 2012

      God will use your prayers

      "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we
      do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very
      Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words."

      Romans 8:26

      Those who pray always are necessary to those who never
      ~ Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

      Just the other day, a friend mentioned she is reluctant
      to bother God with her little requests when the world
      needs God's attention with the big problems. Yet God
      is eager for us to pray. There is no such thing as a
      little prayer and this prayer thing is something with
      which we all struggle.

      As an Internet minister, I receive e-mail prayer requests
      from people around the world. People from Australia to
      Zimbabwe ask for prayers in war and peace, when in safety
      or in danger, for sick and dying loved ones, employment
      and educational needs, sharing deeply personal concerns
      for their children and for themselves.

      Prayer changes things. God listens when we pray. "Those
      who pray always are necessary to those who never pray,"
      said Victor Hugo, and I add for those afraid to pray.
      But how do we get started? And for what should we be
      praying? When do we know when God hears and answers
      our prayers?

      Just as some people have personal trainers for physical
      fitness, God has given us the Holy Spirit as a personal
      trainer for our prayer lives. When we are unable to
      articulate our needs and burdens for others and ourselves,
      God's gracious Spirit intercedes for us with feelings so
      deep that words are unnecessary. Our prayers have
      amazing power when we allow the Spirit to guide us.

      It is good to bring the big world concerns to God. I
      often pray while listening to local and world news and
      when reading the newspaper and ministry e-mail. God is
      concerned about world hunger, tensions in the Middle East,
      and nuclear weapons. We are called to intercede on a
      global scale.

      It is also good to bring the neighborhood concerns to
      the Almighty such as the unemployed migrant workers on
      the corner who are waiting for sporadic employment, the
      nearby food bank, homeless runaway teens, drug dealers
      in the area, and for local victims of domestic violence.
      We need to pray for those who prey on others. Sometimes
      our prayers can even lead to civic involvement and action.

      It is also appropriate to pray for the little things that
      concern us too. I pray for kittens and puppies, for small
      issues and situations in my personal life and home, for
      daily blessings and divine protection for those I love.

      God is interested in the details of the day-to-day events
      in life. God delights in our small talk as well as our
      heartfelt intercessions for the world. The Spirit of God
      will honor our desire and willingness to pray. Just care
      enough to make the effort and you will sense when it is
      time to stop. God will use your prayers in amazing ways.

      Spirit of God, guide our prayers when we are weak and
      strong, with and without words. Amen.