Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 29, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 29, 2012

      Costly discipleship

      "And Jesus said to them, 'Follow me and I will make
      you fish for people.'"
      Mark 1:17

      I have a confession. As a minister I have not always
      practiced what I preach. There have been times in my
      life when I have been very human, bemoaning financial
      concerns. Once a friend cared enough to reprimand me
      as I voiced these concerns. "What's wrong with you?
      Are you in the ministry to make money and a comfortable
      living? If so, you are in the wrong business! If I
      read the text correctly, Jesus said, 'Follow me.'
      The disciples who dropped their nets and livelihood
      did not ask for a compensation package!" My friend
      mused, "Isn't there a story about a widow giving a
      penny or two? Didn't Jesus say she gave more than
      the millionaires?"

      My spiritual lapse reminds me of the time when my family
      and I attended the play Fiddler on the Roof. It is about
      a very poor Russian peasant family. During the play, a
      question is asked, "Lord, I know there is nothing wrong
      in being a poor man. But would it spoil a vast eternal
      plan if I were a wealthy man?"

      I was stricken. I had forgotten a basic reality about
      costly discipleship. Spiritual rebirth costs nothing.
      Discipleship, that is, following Jesus, sometimes calls
      us to sacrificial service. My calling is to be a faithful
      and devoted follower of Jesus Christ. I was not called to
      riches. Christ came in poverty. Who am I to demand
      comfort, security, and affluence? My first love for God
      had become tainted with envy for money, comfort, status,
      and job security. I confess these things. God has always
      provided generously. I have food, shelter, health, and
      people who cherish me. I can be secure in knowing people
      do not love me for my money or income earning potential!

      The apostle Paul had something to say about true wealth,
      "For you know the generous act of our Lord Jesus Christ,
      that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became
      poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich" (2
      Corinthians 8:9). I need to ponder this verse. For my
      sake, Christ became very poor, so that I may become
      very rich in God. You have heard my story. What does
      this mean in your life?

      Help me, dear God, to count my blessings today and be
      thankful for your simple abundance and care. Amen.

      line using your credit card!