Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 22, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 22, 2012

      Please read the Scripture passage and Dr.
      Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be blessed.

      No time to eat – an experience in holy reading

      "The apostles gathered around Jesus, and told him
      all that they had done and taught. He said to
      them, 'Come away to a deserted place all by
      yourselves and rest a while.' For many were
      coming and going, and they had no leisure even to
      eat. And they went away in the boat to a deserted
      place by themselves."
      Mark 6:30-32

      I know we have already read these verses in
      yesterday's reflection. But I personally need
      to linger with this story through an ancient,
      cherished, and trusted form of contemplative
      reading known as lectio divina. Perhaps this
      will be helpful for your spiritual journey
      today. It is simple enough for a child yet
      challenging for most people in a hurry. Lectio
      divina is a form of holy reading. One slowly
      reads and rereads sacred words until a word, a
      phrase, or perhaps a sentence lingers in our
      heart and nourishes our prayer. Allow rich
      moments of silence to punctuate your sacred
      reading. These are words worth lingering with –
      for there are times when we are too busy to eat
      and both our bodies and souls become malnourished.

      Lectio divina helps us slow down in nourishing
      moments of holy leisure spirituality. And I need
      this in my own life. It is far too easy to
      become over committed with activities and
      projects. People often tell me that I have a
      tendency to take on too much. Because I work out
      of a home office, I am never truly away from my
      work. This has led to some bad work and personal
      habits. It is very easy to stop exercising and
      gulp down fast foods. Sometimes I get so
      involved with my work, that I do not even take
      time to eat at a table. I will eat on the run,
      or at the computer, or even while standing over
      the kitchen sink while eating out of my cooking pot.

      An Irish proverb reminds us that God made time
      and plenty of it. How can that be? Sometimes I
      feel I am living life at seventy miles an hour,
      but need to see God at three miles an hour. How
      do I slow down and experience moments of leisure?

      Perhaps lingering with the Jesus stories in the
      gospels is a good place to start. His life has a
      great deal to teach us as busy people. He knew
      how to rest, play, laugh, and manage his time.
      Sometimes he intentionally left the crowds to
      take care of his personal needs for privacy,
      solitude, and quiet.

      God, teach me how to slow down to three miles an
      hour today. I need moments of daily leisure.

      order using our convenient secure shopping cart
      and pay on line using your credit

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95
      each, plus shipping and handling. Six or more
      copies are $15.75 each, plus shipping and
      handling. You can find this book on our Web site
      at http://tinyurl.com/Living-as-Beloved.

      United States customers, please remember when
      ordering on the Web site secure server to select
      "US Postal Service Parcel Post" rather than the
      default setting of "UPS Ground." It is much less