Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 15, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 15, 2012

      **********
      The 2011-2012 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      on the Web Site and available. Please order, go to
      http://tinyurl.com/2012-Lit-Cal

      Thank you!

      Please read the Scripture passage and Dr.
      Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be blessed.

      Till death do us part

      "But Ruth said, 'Do not press me to leave you or
      to turn back from following you! Where you go, I
      will go; where you lodge, I will lodge; your
      people shall be my people, and your God my
      God. Where you die, I will die, there will I be
      buried. May the Lord do thus and so to me, and
      more as well, if even death parts me from you!'"
      Ruth 1:16–17

      The legacy of Ruth and Naomi lives on wherever
      women struggle to survive in patriarchal
      societies where men hold the power of life and
      death. Perhaps their most significant legacy,
      however, is found in their powerful commitment
      towards each other in the face of bereavement,
      hunger, and poverty. These courageous women
      chose to become a nontraditional family based on
      loving choice, when the odds were against their
      survival.

      Today's Bible verses are famous and popularly
      used for heterosexual marriage vows. But
      originally the spoken words of commitment were
      between these two remarkable women. Their
      ancient love story was lived thousands of years
      ago, yet it offers us timeless insights about
      love and devotion for any millennium. God
      blessed their love and so did their local
      community and neighbors. Devoted couples from
      all sexual orientations can express their love,
      fidelity, and devotion through these cherished
      words of commitment.

      Ruth and Naomi bless us with their family
      values. Their loving words and actions are a
      standard I would like for my own family. Two
      hearts beating as one. Through sickness and in
      health, for better or worse, in riches or
      poverty, till death do us part. Hate was not
      their family value. Love was their priority and
      guided everything they did. Their love came from
      God and was repeatedly blessed and publicly affirmed.

      The Bible tells us "there is nothing new under
      the sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9c). Over the centuries
      people have loved deeply. Some people love
      through "traditional" marriages and others in
      "nontraditional" marriages. Love is a beautiful
      part of life. The apostle Paul reminds us that
      "the best is love" (1 Corinthians 13:13).

      Could Ruth and Naomi be a lesbian couple? I
      doubt it, although some would disagree. Yet the
      scriptures offer a blessed sacred ambiguity
      inviting seekers of all sexual orientations to
      find a place at the table of God through Ruth's
      timeless words of loving commitment.

      God, bless us all with the love and commitment,
      loyalty and faithfulness of Ruth and Naomi. Amen.

      order using our convenient secure shopping cart
      and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95
      each, plus shipping and handling. Six or more
      copies are $15.75 each, plus shipping and
      handling. You can find this book on our Web site
      at http://tinyurl.com/Living-as-Beloved.

      United States customers, please remember when
      ordering on the Web site secure server to select
      "US Postal Service Parcel Post" rather than the
      default setting of "UPS Ground." It is much less
      expensive!

      To unsubscribe,
      mailto:ChiRhoPress-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com