Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 8, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 8, 2012

      **********
      The 2011-2012 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      is on the Web Site and available. Please order,
      go to http://tinyurl.com/2012-Lit-Cal

      Thank you!

      Contemplative activists

      "God has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what
      does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and
      to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
      Micah 6:8

      Sometimes I am surprised when people ask my opinion.
      I am even more surprised when people act on it. Such
      was the case one sunny afternoon when two Christian
      lesbians questioned me for about six hours about
      potential workshops to be offered at an international
      justice conference for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and
      transgender people.

      A number of workshops were being suggested on economic
      and political justice issues, but there was a notable
      lack of spirituality topics. I asked, why? Their
      answer should grieve the ecumenical Church at large.
      It seemed that these particular people were hesitant
      to offer spirituality resources to such a "Bible
      bashed" community. The committee had considered a
      welcoming and affirming Bible and homosexuality
      workshop at one point but then backed off. The
      conference was to focus on social justice issues
      instead. Social justice issues were considered
      safer than spiritual issues.

      Yet it seemed to me an important trilogy is found in
      the Micah 6:8 verse. Justice without mercy is harsh.
      Mercy untempered with justice can actually encourage
      lawless and violent behavior. Working for justice
      and mercy without a personal spiritual life is
      difficult if not impossible. We are called to a
      humble walk with a higher power.

      It seemed unethical to me to train and motivate
      activists of any kind, without offering spiritual
      resources to empower them. Some will be jailed for
      their beliefs. Others will experience the
      consequences of living in a world that often rejects
      and ridicules the justice seeker. Many people in the
      world are eager to repress the basic human rights of
      sexual minorities. Potential martyrs and change
      agents need spiritual empowerment.

      "So," I said thoughtfully, "this justice conference is
      based on the nonviolent teachings of Gandhi, the late
      Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and Jesus Christ in the
      Gospels. These three world leaders are what I would
      call contemplative activists. Each leader had
      spiritual practices, which sustained them as they
      lived and died in their prophetic roles. A workshop
      on spiritual empowerment needs to be offered to
      conference attendees."

      "Fine," came the instant response. "Will you do it?"

      "Yes," was my reply.

      When that particular conference was finished, the
      spiritual empowerment workshop had been one of the
      most popularly attended events. People hungered for
      spiritual resources as they worked for justice and full
      inclusion into society and their various religious
      institutions.

      Higher Power, bless us with spiritual empowerment.