Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 1, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 1, 2012

      **********
      The 2011-2012 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      on the Web site and available. Please order, go to
      http://tinyurl.com/2012-Lit-Cal

      Thank you!

      **********

      Happy New Year! May 2012 be filled with every good
      thing for you all!

      Beloved

      "Beloved, let us love one another, because love is
      from God; everyone who loves is born of God and
      knows God."
      1 John 4:7

      Welcome to a new year with all its promise and
      potential. If I could give you only one word for
      the year, it would be "beloved." The late Henri
      Nouwen wrote, "Being the Beloved expresses the core
      truth of our existence" (Nouwen, Henri. "Life of
      the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World,"
      p. 28). But how do we live as the Beloved? I think
      my grandmother might have had an answer.

      If I listed the ten people who have most influenced
      my life, my grandmother would be at the top of that
      list. It was Voltaire who noted that common sense
      is not so common. Common sense was my grand-mother's
      great virtue, in addition to her hearty sense of
      humor. Her favorite saying was "One day at a time,
      dear Lord, one day at a time." She would often
      remind me to "keep looking up!" Her spiritual
      wisdom and common sense have stayed with me for
      more than forty years.

      Grandma was a courageous woman who came to North
      America from Norway with her family during the Great
      Depression. She never had the opportunity to finish
      grammar school. She was well acquainted with sorrow,
      having buried her first-born on her first Christmas
      Day in a new country. Grandma's marriage lasted
      seventy-two years. When she prayed, God listened!

      I lived with her and Grandpa during my early seminary
      career. Together we cared for my mother as she
      struggled with breast cancer. We also cared for
      Grandpa during this difficult time. He was both
      speechless and paralyzed from a series of strokes.
      Every evening Grandma would prepare him for bed.
      Before sleeping, she would sit at his bedside, hold
      his hand and pray for all her family by name. And
      she would softly sing, "One day at a time, dear Lord,
      one day at a time. Help me keep looking up." She
      was living as the Beloved.

      Usually New Year's resolutions are broken or forgotten
      within days. But if you want this year to be different
      from all others, commit yourself to an experiment with
      God for the next 365 days. Use the word "beloved" as
      your centering breath prayer and mantra. Let this
      word grow into two words, quietly breathing in the word
      "be," while exhaling the word "loved." Invite these
      words to become your daily prayer. Do this and your
      life will be transformed. And keep looking up.

      God, bless me as your beloved child. Help me be loved
      this year with every breath. Amen.