Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 4, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 4, 2011

      **********
      The new church year has begun. The 2011-2012
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is now on the
      Web Site and available. Please order, go to
      http://tinyurl.com/2012-Lit-Cal

      Thank you!

      Walking Wisdom

      "Then you will walk on your way securely and your
      foot will not stumble."
      Proverbs 3:23

      Confucius offers us some fifth century wisdom worth
      reclaiming in the twenty-first century through his
      five excellent practices of pilgrimage. Perhaps his
      practices could help us be better people of faith.
      His five practices are brilliantly simple. First,
      Confucius encourages us to practice the arts of
      attention and listening. Secondly, practice the art
      of renewing yourself daily. Third, he encourages
      meandering walking to the center of every place.
      Fourth, practice reading sacred texts. Finally,
      he encourages praise and singing.

      Thich Nhat Hanh also encourages us to walk with
      gratitude. Gratitude reminds us how wonderful
      life is. He teaches young people a simple verse
      to practice while walking. "Oui, oui, oui," he
      recommends people say to themselves as they breathe
      in, and "Merci, merci, merci," as they breathe out
      (Hanh, Thich Nhat. "The Long Road Turns to Joy,"
      p. 36.) "Yes, yes, yes. Thanks, thanks, thanks."
      It helps people respond to life, to society, and
      to the Earth in a positive way.

      Walking is good for our spirits. Confucius and
      Thich Nhat Hanh are not alone with their encouragement
      to walk in gratitude while singing. Many other
      spiritual traditions also understand life is a
      journey and we are all on a sacred path. Walk
      tall, walk faithfully, walk music in your hearts.

      A Navaho song calls us to, "Walk on a rainbow trail;
      walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be
      beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over
      a rainbow trail."

      Walking is good for our souls and Epicurus, a Greek
      philosopher who lived 341 to 270 B.C., reminds us
      that, "It is never too early or too late to care
      for the well-being of your soul." Seneca, a Roman
      philosopher, dramatist and statesman who lived 4
      B.C. to 64 A.D., encourages us to "find a path or
      make one." Anaxagorus, another Greek philosopher
      who lived 500 to 428 B.C., taught in Athens that
      "life is a journey." An ancient Ilocano saying
      from the Northern Luzon Island in the Philippines
      wisely reminds us to go slowly if we are going a
      long way.

      We can experience powerful meditative experiences
      through the use of finger labyrinths as well, slowly
      tracing the grooved path of the labyrinth with the
      fingers of our dominant and non-dominant hands. Or
      watch other walkers and let their movements become
      part of your meditation.

      Many of us who are Christians have much to learn from
      other spiritual traditions. We will walk life better,
      because we have cared enough to learn from other faiths
      in an attitude of respect. Confucius and the other
      wise sages have been a great blessing for me today.

      How are your spiritual practices? Are they as excellent
      as the ones suggested by the masters?

      God, bless our souls with walking wisdom. As we journey
      through life, help us be more mindful of our breath and
      body movements. Empower our prayers with this awareness.

      $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling. You can
      find this book on our Web site at