Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 20, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 20, 2011

      The 2011-2012 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now on the Web Site and available. Please order, go to

      Thank you!

      Only God is perfect

      "Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of
      Romans 3:23

      Only God is perfect. Only Christ is without sin. Sin
      is an unfortunate but real aspect of our common human
      condition. The Bible tells us that Christ died for the
      sins of the world. This may come as a surprise for some
      well-intentioned Christian churches and pastors, but
      even churches and their spiritual leaders sin. Sin is
      a guarantee for spiritual indigestion. Sin offers no
      nourishing soul food.

      Jesus actually came for the sins of all people, people
      from every imaginable sexual orientation. The cross
      is our common denominator. We are equally needy for
      spiritual cleaning and restoration from sin. We need
      to begin with a contrite heart. It is good to remember
      that Jesus is kind to people of all kinds. He never
      insisted on a change in sexual orientation. He did
      insist all change their sin orientation.

      The Reverend Eugene Peterson writes this revealing
      insight in his beautiful book, Answering God, "Sin
      is not what is wrong with our minds, it is the
      catastrophic disorder in which we find ourselves at
      odds with God. This is the human condition" (Peterson,
      Eugene. "Answering God," p. 113).

      Homosexuality is not a sin. Neither is heterosexuality
      or bisexuality. All sexual orientations are a good gift
      from God. We need to remember God delights in human
      diversity and honors our differences and loving
      relationships. A popular saying in my youth was, "God
      doesn't make junk!" We are all precious to God. God
      does not prefer one sexual orientation to another.
      People might be biased or prejudicial, but God is not.

      Sin is not precious. It is harmful. Many words describe
      sin in the Bible. The ancient Hebrew and Greek words
      have very specific and special meanings that we often
      do not appreciate in the 21st century. Words like
      trespasses, transgressions, iniquities, and debts reveal
      sin to be a real and complex part of human nature. We
      may try to avoid or deny sin as part of our humanity,
      but it is a reality in our lives. Sin coexists alongside
      creation and confuses life. "All have sinned and fallen
      short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:32).

      We can take moments in our lives and confess our failings
      to God in a spirit of humility. All of us have missed the
      mark somewhere in our lives today. Perhaps it was through
      a thought or an unkind word. Or in a moment of anger we
      refused to hug someone we loved or intentionally "forgot"
      to do something we had promised. Where have we missed
      the mark in life today? Where are we at odds with God?

      The good news of the Gospel is that when we confess our
      sins, God forgives them (1 John 1:9). Confession is good
      for our souls and is the key to our spiritual renewal,
      rebirth, reawakening, and rededication to God.

      God, forgive me. Forgive me where I have sinned in words,
      thoughts, and deeds today. Help me live a better and more
      loving life with you. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling. Six or more copies are $15.75 each,
      plus shipping and handling. You can find it at

      United States customers, please remember when ordering on
      the Web site secure server to select "US Postal Service
      Parcel Post" rather than the default setting of "UPS
      Ground." It is much less expensive!