Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 13, 2011

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 13, 2011

      **********
      The 2011-2012 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now on the Web Site! If you want to order, go to
      http://tinyurl.com/2012-Lit-Cal

      Thank you!

      Knowing Christ is everything

      "For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. …
      Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to
      regard as loss because of Christ. More than that,
      I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing
      value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake
      I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard
      them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and
      be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own
      that comes from the law, but one that comes through
      faith in Christ, the righteousness from God based on
      faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his
      resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by
      becoming like him in his death, if somehow I may
      attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I
      have already obtained this or have already reached
      the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because
      Christ Jesus has made me his own. Beloved, I do not
      consider that I have made it my own; but this one
      thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining
      forward to what lies ahead."
      Philippians 1:21; 3:7-13

      I love reading the book of Philippians and helping
      others read it. It is full of God-power insights
      and can dramatically transform lives. It is only
      four chapters and worth reading, memorizing, and
      using for personal meditation. The author is
      believed to be the apostle Paul. He was originally
      an Orthodox Jewish rabbi who passionately hunted
      down the early Christians. He zealously had them
      imprisoned and delighted in their deaths. Then one
      day he had a dramatic conversion experience on the
      road to Damascus. His great change of heart forever
      altered his life. He became a tireless missionary
      for Jesus Christ to the astonishment of those he
      formerly persecuted and his rabbinical colleagues.
      He suffered greatly for his Christian faith. He
      wrote Philippians while in jail for sharing the
      gospel. Through this letter, we learn about the
      joy of Christian suffering for the Gospel.

      Several years ago, a young lesbian activist had a
      spiritual conversion experience. She met Jesus Christ
      in a powerful, healing, and personally transforming
      way. She then began attending an affirming Bible study
      for gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered
      seekers, doubters, and skeptics. Someone gave her a
      Bible. She began reading the Gospel for the first
      time. She then went on to a four week Bible study
      with a group of Christian lesbians. Together they
      read the lovely book of Ruth. By reading Ruth, all
      the women found a place in God's love story. The
      group was reluctant to stop meeting and decided
      another short book in the Bible would be a good
      experience. They chose Philippians for its brevity.

      They were astonished at the spiritual riches of those
      four short chapters and eagerly read every word. Some
      were so deeply touched that they memorized favorite
      sentences. This way they could experience a portable
      chapel in their hearts. Several began a spiritual
      journal. Others began praying in the name of Jesus
      Christ for the first time.

      The lesbian eagerly began sharing her spiritual
      experiences with other lesbian activists. They
      were confused that their beautiful, bright, and
      dedicated friend would identify as a Christian.
      Their experiences with many Christian churches
      had been abusive and damaging. One day a million
      Promise Keepers visited their city to pray as a
      large group of evangelical, heterosexual male
      Christians. The young woman eagerly went to meet
      them and joyfully shared her Christian faith with
      them. "There are many Christian churches for your
      gay and lesbian friends and children," she
      enthusiastically shared with them. Many of the
      Promise Keepers were astonished to learn of this
      growing, global voice of Christian faith among
      sexual minorities. The men were amazed at this
      remarkable lesbian. She was literally one in a
      million. Like the apostle Paul, she had learned
      that knowing Christ was everything. She wanted
      to experience resurrection power and share her
      faith.

      Expect your life to be changed when you read these
      powerful pages.

      Yes, God, we too wish to know Christ and the power
      of the living resurrection. Help us share our faith
      with the same courage of Paul and this anonymous
      Christian lesbian. Amen.

      $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling. You can
      find this book on our Web site at http://tinyurl.com/Living-as-Beloved.

      United States customers, please remember when
      ordering on the Web site secure server to select
      "US Postal Service Parcel Post" rather than the
      default setting of "UPS Ground." It is much less
      expensive!