Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 23, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2001
      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Vanessa Moore.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Matthew 5:38-48

      'Love your enemies . . . so that you may be children of God
      who is in heaven; for God makes the sun to rise on the evil
      and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the
      unjust.'

      How can we love our enemies? Is it possible to love
      someone who has hurt us? Yes, Jesus says in today's
      Gospel, not only is it possible, but we must do it. As
      Christians, we are asked to love our enemies and pray even
      for those who persecute us. God loves us, and so we must
      learn to love each other. We are to love each other even
      when we disappoint each other. But how can we do this?

      Love is not just a feeling, it is an action. To truly
      love someone, we must be willing to act with love, even
      when we don't feel particularly loving. We must become
      willing to love someone just because he or she is also a
      child of God. Once we have opened ourselves to this kind
      of loving, our love and respect for our fellow humans is
      not easily shaken by external circumstances. We begin to
      love people because of who they are, not what
      they do.

      We can love a person even while saying that we will not
      accept certain behavior. Gandhi showed both his love and
      his protest by using nonviolent means. Loving someone also
      means being willing to speak out when we do not agree with
      the person's actions. If we allow people to abuse
      themselves or others in the name of love, we are not
      following the way of Christ. We are choosing to live in
      fear or denial instead.

      Take time to reflect today on those whom you love. If
      there is hatred within you toward any of God's children,
      acknowledge it, then let it go. Offer it up to God and do
      not take it back. Experience the healing love of Christ,
      and be set free. This is the way we learn to love one
      another.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Purchase �The Road to Emmaus� from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,