Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 30, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 30, 2011

      **********
      The 2011-2012 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now on the Web Site! If you want to order,go to
      http://tinyurl.com/2012-Lit-Cal

      Thank you!

      Reading the entire Bible

      "The Lord exists for ever; your word is firmly
      fixed in heaven. Your faithfulness endures to
      all generations; you have established the earth,
      and it stands fast."
      Psalm 119:89-90

      From April until now, the end of October, we have
      read through the Gospel of Matthew. Congratulations!
      Reading an entire book in the Bible is a marvelous
      accomplishment. These wonderful words of life uplift,
      sustain, encourage, and provide us with moments of God-
      power. I love reading the Bible. No other book has
      so deeply influenced my life. The Bible is worth a
      lifetime of study. Perhaps this is why so many fondly
      call it "the Good Book."

      If you have enjoyed reading the Gospel of Matthew,
      consider reading the other Gospels of Mark, Luke,
      and John. Each offers unique insights and lessons
      for living. Each shares the Jesus story in powerful
      ways. Mark offers a gold thread of discipleship.
      Luke is the beloved physician writing about Jesus
      as the Great Physician. John teaches us how to
      simply be with Jesus.

      You may even find yourself wanting to read the entire
      Bible. There are many Bible reading plans. I used
      one for many years that a friend recommended. It
      involved reading ten chapters in the Bible on a daily
      basis. Many others have used it and have been
      transformed. It involves a bit of disciplined reading
      but is extremely rewarding.

      The ten chapters divide into four daily sections: Old
      Testament, New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs. Daily
      read two chapters in the Old Testament, beginning with
      the first book in the Bible known as Genesis. When
      Genesis is completed, continue on to the next book in
      the Bible, Exodus.

      While reading in the Old Testament, continue daily
      readings with two chapters in the New Testament,
      beginning with Matthew's Gospel, which we have just
      read. Throughout your reading discipline, include
      five daily Psalms with one chapter from the book of
      Proverbs. The Psalms are cherished prayers that have
      helped people pray throughout the centuries. We need
      the Psalms for the care of our soul. The Proverbs are
      a treasure of ethical insights for living.

      What does this particular reading plan accomplish? By
      the end of a year, you will have read the entire Old
      Testament twice. You will have read the New Testament
      three times. You will have read the entire prayer book
      known as the Psalms on a monthly basis, including the
      marvelous ancient wisdom of Proverbs. If ten chapters
      seem too difficult, time consuming, or intimidating, do
      what you realistically can. Expect a daily blessing
      whether you read ten chapters a day or ten verses or
      even just ten words. The Bible will nourish your soul.
      God will honor your reading and efforts. These sacred
      words have been known to change lives.

      God, help me to grow spiritually every day. Amen.

      http://tinyurl.com/Living-as-Beloved