Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 16, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 16, 2011

      We are a bit late coming out with the 2011-2012
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary for this year,
      for which we apologize. If you want to preorder,
      please use the order information for this year�s
      Calendar at http://tinyurl.com/LiturgCal. We will
      send you the material for Advent through
      Christmastide, up until Epiphany to tide you over
      until the full calendar is printed and bound and
      sent to you.

      Thank you!

      The earth shook

      "At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn
      in two, from top to bottom. The earth shook, and
      the rocks were split. The tombs also were opened,
      and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep
      were raised. After his resurrection they came out
      of the tombs and entered the holy city and appeared
      to many."
      Matthew 27:51-53

      The earth shook while many other strange and
      frightening things began to happen the moment
      Christ died. The curtain of the Jewish temple
      in Jerusalem was torn from top to bottom. Rocks
      shattered. Certain graves actually released their
      dead, and many corpses of known holy people were
      raised to life. They came out of their tombs.
      How terrifying this all must have been. The sun
      had disappeared and all was dark. Where was God
      in this dark moment in world history? I imagine
      many people huddled in fear and wonder.

      We are told that the raised dead actually appeared
      to many in Jerusalem after Christ was resurrected.
      Even in the moment of Christ's death, death was
      conquered. The power of the grave was shattered
      forever as faithful and holy people were miraculously
      raised from the dead, testifying to God's great grace
      and power. There were many empty tombs the moment
      Christ died.

      What does this mean for us? We can personally
      claim the Christian hope that we too can experience
      resurrection through Jesus Christ, God's crucified
      and beloved Child. Jesus himself experienced death
      for us and understands our human frailties and fears.
      We can take courage at the moment of our death and
      experience spiritual comfort when loved ones die.
      Death has been conquered forever.

      Someday the dead in Christ will be raised again (1
      Thessalonians 4:13-18). Oh death, where is your
      victory? Where is your sting? (See 1 Corinthians
      15:54-56.) Christ has conquered the grave even in
      death. Death cannot hold him. Death is not the end.
      We have hope beyond the grave (1 Corinthians 15).

      Beloved Christ, you have tasted death for me and
      offer all of us resurrection hope. Help us encourage
      each other with these words. Amen.