Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 9, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 9, 2011

      It is safe to cry with God

      "Then Pontius Pilate asked, 'Why, what evil has he
      done?' But they shouted all the more, 'Let him be
      crucified!' So when Pilate saw that he could do
      nothing, but rather that a riot was beginning, he
      took some water and washed his hands before the crowd,
      saying, 'I am innocent of this man's blood; see to it
      yourselves.' Then the people as a whole answered,
      'His blood be on us and on our children!' So Pilate
      released Barabbas for them; and after flogging Jesus,
      he handed him over to be crucified."
      Matthew 27:23-26

      An ancient Persian proverb tells us if fate throws
      a knife at you, you can catch it either by the blade
      or the handle. Pilate dodges the knife by refusing
      to accept the responsibility of his office. Rather
      than quell the disturbance and maintain Roman justice,
      he takes the easy way out. Pilate washes his hands
      of this sordid event and tells the rioting crowd
      that Jesus is "your responsibility." The crazed
      crowd shouts back, "Let his blood be on us and our
      children." Barabbas disappears into the crowd as a
      free man. Pilate had Jesus flogged. Roman floggings
      were so brutal that sometimes the victim died before
      crucifixion. Jesus survived and went on to be
      crucified.

      I cringe from the horror of this event and my own
      self-knowledge. There have been times in my own
      life where I have dodged or avoided responsibility.
      By stepping back and letting others take over, I
      have acted like Pilate. By silent assent or passive
      behavior, evil can triumph. Power and authority
      always carry responsibility.

      God, where have I acted as Pilate? Please forgive
      me. Amen.