Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 2, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 2, 2011

      It is safe to cry with God

      "Now Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. A
      servant-girl came to him and said, 'You also were
      with Jesus the Galilean.' But he denied it before
      all of them, saying, 'I do not know what you are
      talking about.' When he went out to the porch,
      another servant-girl saw him, and she said to the
      bystanders, 'This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.'
      Again he denied it with an oath, 'I do not know
      the man.' After a little while the bystanders
      came up and said to Peter, 'Certainly you are also
      one of them, for your accent betrays you.' Then
      he began to curse, and he swore an oath, 'I do
      not know the man!' At that moment the cock crowed.
      Then Peter remembered what Jesus had said: 'Before
      the cock crows, you will deny me three times.'
      And Peter went out and wept bitterly."
      Matthew 26:69-75

      Peter's tears remind us that fear can sometimes
      overpower loving courage. Peter had done his best
      to stay near Jesus while the other disciples had
      fled for their lives. His public outing by the
      servant girl proved to be terrifying. Peter was
      faced with a dangerous and potentially deadly
      dilemma. If he identified as one of Jesus'
      disciples, he could possibly share the same fate
      as his beloved master. Instinctively Peter
      denied his best friend again and again without

      In several panic stricken moments, Peter betrayed
      Jesus more powerfully than Judas Iscariot. Judas
      had the soul of a traitor and had carefully
      premeditated his actions for some time. Peter
      had the soul of loyal friend who loved Jesus
      passionately, but when the chips were down and
      his life was as stake, Peter impulsively betrayed
      Jesus by denying their relationship. He lied to
      save his own skin. Can we really blame him for
      his cowardice? What would we have done in his

      The rooster crowed as Jesus had earlier predicted.
      Overcome with remorse, Peter fled outside the
      courtyard and wept bitter heartrending tears.
      His grief only intensified as he remembered the
      loving look Jesus gave him as Peter cursed and
      repeatedly insisted he did not know Jesus. Jesus
      had looked him right in the eye and gazed into
      the depths of his soul. Peter then ran for his
      life, berating himself with a self-hatred and
      loathing we can only imagine. He would carry
      the memories of his bitter betrayal of Jesus to
      his grave.

      As Peter wept bitter tears of shame, grief, and
      regret he unwittingly found it was safe to cry
      with God. I suspect he was unaware of God's
      tender presence in his defining moment of human
      failure. God was with him throughout the horror
      of the moment, and would help him live through
      the terrible events that lay ahead. After the
      resurrection, Peter's tears would eventually lead
      him to a life transforming and soul refining
      repentance, bringing him an empowering resolve
      to serve the risen Christ and build his church.
      He would become a great preacher and influential
      pastor to many churches before dying a martyr's
      death for his loyalty to the new Christian faith.

      So often in life we minimize our pain and try to
      stifle and hide our tears. Tears are something
      many of us are ashamed of as a sign of weakness
      and inadequacy. We even apologize when crying
      in our deepest agony. But God created tears for
      a purpose. They cleanse our souls and hearts,
      bringing healing and strength. The next time
      tears well up in our eyes, let them become an
      agent of God's grace. Have a good cry and you
      too, will find it is safe to cry with God.
      There are times when even a tear rolling quietly
      down our cheeks is a silent prayer.

      God, today Peter's tears have become mine. With
      Peter, may I find you safe to cry with and find
      comfort and courage in my times of need. Amen.