Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 25, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 25, 2011

      Sold for a price

      "Then one of the twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot,
      went to the chief priests and said, 'What will you
      give me if I betray Jesus to you?' They paid him
      thirty pieces of silver. And from that moment Judas
      began to look for an opportunity to betray Jesus."
      Matthew 26:14-16

      Cynics will insist everyone has a price and loyalty
      can be bought. For Judas Iscariot, thirty silver
      coins represented approximately four months' wages.
      Why would he betray Jesus? After three years of
      being with this remarkable teacher, healer, and
      miracle worker, what prompted him to sell out to
      the religious authorities? Was it greed? Or is
      there more to this story? Did the anonymous woman
      who so lovingly anointed Jesus influence his decision?
      The other gospel accounts do not tell us the motives
      of Judas Iscariot (Mark 14:10, 11; Luke 22:3-6). They
      do tell us that the hostile religious leaders were
      "delighted" with his decision to betray Jesus into
      their hands (Mark 14: 11 NIV).

      Luke and John specifically mention that "Satan entered
      Judas." This expression is found twice, first in Luke
      22:3 and later during the description of the Last
      Supper in John 13:27. One commentary notes that Judas
      never had a high motive of service or commitment to
      Jesus. Hendriksen, William. "New Testament Commentary:
      The Gospel of Matthew," pp. 902-903) Judas had even
      stolen money that had been given to support Jesus and
      the other disciples in ministry (John 12:6). From the
      very beginning of his experience with Jesus, he
      compromised his ethics and integrity for personal
      gain and ambition.

      Judas Iscariot began watching for an opportunity to
      betray his master, friend, mentor, and rabbi. Judas
      was receptive to evil influence in his life, and
      Satan is a great opportunist and strategist.

      Judas Iscariot had the soul of a traitor. He was a
      hypocrite and a sneak. His story continues to enlighten
      people, for the Christian church has always had some
      disciples who merely pretend to serve Christ out of
      loving devotion. Jesus is useful to them as they
      seek to further their careers, special agendas, and
      personal fortunes. But nothing is more demoralizing
      than being betrayed by someone you love. It is
      frighteningly easy to become like Judas Iscariot.
      Hypocrisy can take many forms and the spiritual
      profile of Judas serves as warning.

      Do our lives model the life of Judas Iscariot?
      Do we share his lack of commitment and self-serving
      motive to serve Jesus? Have we ever compromised
      and taken what is not ours? Do we live with
      integrity? What are our ethics? Have we, like
      Judas Iscariot, intimately known Jesus, been
      involved in ministry, and been in spiritual
      leadership? What is our price to compromise the
      Gospel of Jesus Christ?

      God, help us humbly learn from the mistakes of
      Judas Iscariot. Amen.