Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 4, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 4, 2011

      The greatest commandment

      "When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced
      the Sadducees, they gathered together, and one of
      them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him.
      'Teacher, which commandment in the law is the
      greatest?' Jesus said to him, '"You shall love
      the Lord your God with all your heart, and with
      all your soul, and with all your mind." This is
      the greatest and first commandment. And a second
      is like it: "You shall love your neighbour as
      yourself." On these two commandments hang all
      the law and the prophets.'"
      Matthew 22:34-40

      Love is the greatest commandment in biblical law.
      With just four concise sentences, Jesus sums up the
      entire Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures) for us.
      Love God with every fiber, breath, and cell of our
      being. Then love our neighbors as ourselves. Love
      ourselves as we love our neighbors. A teaching for
      all cultures, this Great Commandment, speaks to every
      generation, every nation, and every sexual orientation.

      We all fall short and miss the mark in loving God,
      our neighbor, and ourselves. Today many mainline
      Christian denominations often practice intolerance
      and discrimination, causing great pain and suffering
      for sexual minorities. Christian churches that do
      not recognize same-sex love are not practicing the
      Golden Rule as taught by Jesus. Some Christian
      ministries explain their prejudice against same-
      sex love by saying they "hate the sin and love the
      sinner," but often they reject, refuse, and prohibit
      sexual minority people's basic human courtesies and
      human rights.

      Sometimes these Christian ministries go further
      than withholding blessings, they distort this basic
      teaching of Christ to justify fund-raising for
      themselves and political candidates that continue
      these policies of oppression of LGBT people, policies
      that often contribute to a lack of job security and
      health insurance for LGBT people, as well as acts
      of physical violence against them. Tragically,
      these non-welcoming Christian churches can cause
      profound spiritual injuries to many seekers who have
      been demonized and denigrated by these houses of worship.

      I am often considered "too controversial" to lead
      centering and contemplative prayer groups at those
      non-affirming churches. Does this surprise you?
      When will we learn to live and practice our highest
      calling? When will we finally obey Jesus and live
      this commandment to love?

      More love, O God, to You, our neighbors, and ourselves.