Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 16, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2001
      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Vanessa Moore.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      John 11:45-57

      '. . . being high priest that year [Caiaphas] requested that
      Jesus should die for the nation, and not for the nation
      only, but to gather into one the children of God who are
      scattered abroad.'

      Through Christ's death on the cross, all of us, as
      children of God, were forgiven, set free, and made whole.
      Once a people separated from each other, we became a
      community united by Christ's love. Once scattered, we
      were gathered together in Christ.

      Christ set before us a new way. No longer would God's
      people offer burnt sacrifices to expiate sin; Christ's
      Resurrection and death paid for all time the debt of our
      sin. No longer would the people of God exchange '. . .
      eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for
      foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for
      stripe. . . ." (Exodus 2124-25). Christ's example showed
      that love is the only answer to hate. No longer would
      God's salvation be available to only one nation; the
      'chosen people' of God became all people.

      Once we have received this good news of new life, we too
      must declare a different way from the path the world
      offers. We are then called to work for the equality of
      all and to proclaim the good news of God's love for all
      people.

      The transformative power of Christ's Resurrection and
      death is available for us today. We can claim that
      transformation and redemption for ourselves and put it to
      work in our lives. Today, if we accept the gift given us
      through the death of God's own Child, we can give of
      ourselves to others.

      Take some time today to consider that Christ died 'to
      gather into on the children of God.' Are you separated
      from a brother or sister? If so, bring that separation
      to Christ, who will open the way to reconciliation.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Purchase �The Road to Emmaus� from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,