Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 24, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 24, 2011

      **********

      We apologize for the delay in getting this week's
      Chi Rho Reflection to you.

      Take courage

      "Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the
      boat and go on ahead to the other side, while he
      dismissed the crowds. And after he had dismissed
      the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to
      pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but
      by this time the boat, battered by the waves, was
      far from the land, for the wind was against them.
      And early in the morning he came walking towards
      them on the lake. But when the disciples saw him
      walking on the lake, they were terrified, saying,
      'It is a ghost!' And they cried out in fear.

      But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said,
      'Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.'"
      Matthew 14:22-27

      I have been at sea in rough and stormy weather.
      I have stood watches throughout the night. Who
      would not be terrified to see someone walking on
      the water? Exhaustion combined with fear is
      easily experienced by all of us. These paralyzing
      feelings leave us vulnerable to terror, doubt, and
      disbelief.

      I have also heard many sermons on these verses
      criticizing the terrified disciples. After all,
      they had been with Jesus for a long time. They
      had lingered with his remarkable words, enjoyed
      his friendship, marveled at his miracles, and
      had participated in miraculous ministries. You
      would think nothing would surprise them about
      Jesus at this point in their lives.

      We see Jesus in his humanity and divinity. Jesus
      now needs time alone. After sending the crowd home,
      Jesus sends the disciples away so he could go up on
      the mountain and pray by himself. He needed to be
      alone with his feelings and to pray without
      interruption. The disciples obeyed him and began
      sailing their boat to the other side of the lake.
      It was difficult sailing against the wind and the
      waves, but they were making progress. Late in the
      night, they see Jesus walking on the water towards
      them and they are terrified.

      Jesus says, "Take courage. It is I. Do not be
      afraid." The Bible encourages us not to be afraid
      in more than three hundred places. We are to release
      our fear and trust Jesus, God's water walker.

      God, help us take courage and not fear in the strong,
      protective presence of Jesus Christ. Amen.