Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 17, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 17, 2011

      Fine pearls

      Jesus taught, "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like
      a merchant in search of fine pearls; on finding one
      pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he
      had and bought it."
      Matthew 13:45-46

      I have a bumper sticker on my car that invites people
      to commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts
      of beauty. I have often thought that the saying
      should be changed to commit many acts of kindness
      and constant acts of beauty.

      The world is full of many beautiful things. Sunrises
      and sunsets are freely available on a daily basis for
      those with the eyes to see. I once had a blind
      roommate who taught me about this. She lost her
      sight as a child, but never forgot her colors. She
      was not afraid to ask her sighted friends to describe
      the skies and everything they saw.

      The pearl merchant brings us a different perspective.
      He was an expert in his field who appreciated priceless
      treasure. The kingdom of heaven is like a pearl
      merchant who finds one pearl of enormous value. It
      is worth all his earthly possessions.

      A personal relationship with God is the most valuable
      relationship we can have in this world. But God cannot
      be bought. The good news of God is freely available to
      the poorest person in the world. Rich or poor, God is
      lovely to be with. A life with God is worth everything.
      It is like finding one pearl of great value.

      God, thank you for being beautiful in a world that can
      sometimes be ugly.