Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 10, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 10, 2011

      Listen again

      Jesus explained the Parable of the Sower this way,
      "Hear then the parable of the sower. When anyone
      hears the word of the kingdom and does not under-
      stand it, the evil one comes and snatches away
      what is sown in the heart; this is what was sown
      on the path. As for what was sown on rocky ground,
      this is the one who hears the word and immediately
      receives it with joy; yet such a person has no
      root, but endures only for a while, and when
      trouble or persecution arises on account of the
      word, that person immediately falls away. As for
      what was sown among thorns, this is the one who
      hears the word, but the cares of the world and
      the lure of wealth choke the word, and it yields
      nothing."
      Matthew 13:18-22

      When our hearts and ears are open and receptive
      to understanding, we will someday harvest spiritual
      results in God's way and God's timing. But first
      we need to be honest with God about the rocks,
      weeds, and thorns in the soil in our hearts.

      Where are we in this parable? What is the soil of
      our hearts? Do we need God to replant spiritual
      seed in our souls? Have we lost our understanding?
      Have we fallen away in trouble or persecution?
      Have the cares of this world and the lure of wealth
      choked our spiritual lives? Every life has a story.
      What is our story? Perhaps our hearts need
      replanting with the illuminating and inspiring
      life giving words.

      I learned to better listen to the word of God in
      my life when I began to walk the labyrinth, a very
      old spiritual tradition. Several months ago, I
      made a labyrinth in our yard. They are amazingly
      easy to make when you know the basic pattern.
      (Please visit the Labyrinth Society Web site at
      www.labyrinthsociety.org.) With a stick or broom
      handle, it is a simple matter to draw the path in
      the earth. After the path was drawn, finding sticks,
      stones, and seashells to line the path was even
      easier. When in the labyrinth, the single path
      leads the walker into the center. It is a wonderful
      meditation tool. St. Augustine is quoted as saying,
      "Solvitur ambulando," ("It is solved by walking").

      This seems to be so in my own life. I have been
      noticing that during the summer, weeds seem to
      sprout overnight in the labyrinth. The weeds seem
      to proliferate in the good soil and I need to
      periodically get out in the dirt! Pulling weeds
      on my hands and knees is good for the labyrinth
      and good for my soul. The weed roots often extend
      for great lengths under the topsoil.

      So it is with our own souls. We need to carefully
      and lovingly weed and cultivate the soil of our
      hearts. So get in some spiritual dirt today.
      Consider getting on your hands and knees. Dirt
      is full of surprises. You may be surprised by
      God and surprised by joy as you linger thoughtfully
      with this parable. Listen to it again and again,
      and let God be your Gardener.

      God, sow your good seed in our hearts. Plow the
      soil of our souls. Help us listen again and
      understand. Amen.