Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 26, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 26, 2011

      Confidence before God

      "Then Jesus began to reproach the cities in which
      most of his deeds of power had been done, because
      they did not repent. 'Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe
      to you, Bethsaida! For if the deeds of power done
      in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would
      have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But
      I tell you, on the day of judgement it will be more
      tolerable for Tyre and Sidon than for you. And you,
      Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? No, you
      will be brought down to Hades. For if the deeds of
      power done in you had been done in Sodom, it would
      have remained until this day. But I tell you that
      on the day of judgement it will be more tolerable
      for the land of Sodom than for you.'"
      Matthew 11:20-24

      Jesus had performed numerous miracles. Today we
      find him strongly denouncing specific cities where
      many had not repented after seeing his miracles or
      hearing his message. Some cities are Jewish and
      others are Gentile. Then Jesus speaks of Sodom on
      the Day of Judgment and addresses his unrepentant
      listeners with a strongly worded admonition. For
      those unfamiliar with the Sodom and Gomorrah story
      (Genesis 19), it represents God's holy judgment
      towards rebellious humanity. It is worth noting
      that "woe" can also be translated as "doom."

      We are the people of Korazin, Bethsaida, Capernaum,
      Tyre, Sidon, and Sodom. Just change the names of
      these cities to our local regions: Moscow, London,
      New York City, Jerusalem, Rome, Tokyo, Sydney, and
      others.

      Through reading Matthew's Gospel, we have also heard
      the Jesus message of repentance and many miracles.
      Do we believe in the Miracle Worker? If so, we can
      have confidence before God.

      Our timeless human condition calls us to inner
      repentance from sin, while turning towards God for
      restoration and renewal. Jesus is our bridge to
      God. We are called to life-sustaining belief in
      this Miraculous One. All of us have missed the
      mark in life. All of us need periodic moments of
      repentance and inner transformation. Through
      personal faith in Jesus, we can face the Day of
      Judgment without fear. Jesus can help us experience
      confidence before God.

      God, hear our prayers. Help our unbelief. Amen.