Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 5, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 5, 2011

      Storms are calmed

      "A gale arose on the lake, so great that the boat
      was being swamped by the waves; but Jesus was
      asleep. And the disciples went and woke him up,
      saying, 'Lord, save us! We are perishing!'"
      Matthew 8:24-25

      I have been in furious storms on some of the world's
      mighty oceans. As life-threatening waves sweep over
      the boat, sometimes all you can do is hang on for
      dear life while desperately praying for calm seas.
      Sometimes I have gotten caught in vicious summer
      squalls while sailing small boats. One night, a
      fellow shipmate fell overboard and I feared he had
      drowned. I heard his voice from the dark waters
      and threw a lifeline. He was able to climb back
      into the boat as the waves churned in fury and we
      were flung from side to side in the boat. When
      the squall passed by, we became becalmed. There
      was not even a whisper of wind. We could hear
      and feel the stillness. In the quiet we could
      hear fish jump. The stars came out. The sea
      looked like dark velvet. Bruised and battered,
      we managed to sail home. After we docked the boat,
      I knelt down and kissed the ground in profound
      gratitude for our safety.

      In today's story, the terrified disciples were
      seasoned sailors and professional fisherman.
      They too, feared for their lives while Jesus
      was sleeping. In their terror, they shouted a
      profound prayer, "Lord, save us! We are going
      to drown!"

      Jesus woke up and chastised them for their little
      faith. He asked why they were so fearful. Then
      he stood up on the wildly rocking boat and rebuked
      the waves and the wind. It became completely calm.
      The terrified disciples were amazed and asked a
      question we need to answer today. "What kind of
      man is Jesus?" Even nature obeys him! I have
      always wondered if they knelt down and kissed the
      ground in gratitude after landing their boat.

      Who is Jesus? Who is he to you? Is there something
      in your life that feels out of control? Have you
      ever wondered if Jesus could help you?

      Feel free to ask him for help. Ask for calm seas,
      rest from the bruises of life, and safe harbor for
      your souls. He is our wonderful Navigator through
      life's troubled waters. He is our divine lifeline.

      Lord, save us! Protect us from spiritual drowning!
      Help us get into safe harbor. Amen.