Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 29, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 5:37 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 29, 2011

      What are my motives?

      Jesus taught, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord,
      Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only
      one who does the will of my Father in heaven. On
      that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we
      not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in
      your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?'
      Then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; go
      away from me, you evildoers.'"
      Matthew 7:21-23

      Ask three very important questions while reading
      the Bible. What is the passage saying? What does
      it mean? And specifically, what does this mean to
      me in my personal life and situation? Valuable
      insights can also be gained through reading
      different Bible translations.

      Jesus' warning reinforces what he is teaching us
      about false prophets and other spiritual impostors.
      God truly looks within our hearts and knows our
      motives. What is our motive in following Jesus?
      Are we using him to promote our own power agenda
      and to manipulate people for prestige?

      Eugene Peterson translates these verses in a
      contemporary interpretation, "Knowing the correct
      password saying 'Master, Master,' for instance
      isn't going to get you anywhere with me. What is
      required is serious obedience doing what my Father
      wills. I can see it now at the Final Judgment
      thousands strutting up to me and saying, 'Master,
      we preached the Message, we bashed the demons, our
      God-sponsored projects had everyone talking.' And
      do you know what I am going to say? 'You missed
      the boat. All you did was use me to make yourselves
      important. You don't impress me one bit. You're
      out of here'" (Peterson, Eugene. "The Message: The
      New Testament in Contemporary Language," p. 22).

      God, help us identify our true motives for following
      Jesus. Help us take heed of this stern warning.