Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 1, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 4:18 AM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 1, 2011

      Divorce and remarriage

      Jesus said, "It was also said, 'Whoever divorces his
      wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.'
      But I say to you that anyone who divorces his wife,
      except on the ground of unchastity, causes her to
      commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced
      woman commits adultery."
      Matthew 5: 31-32

      Divorce is deeply wounding to people of all sexual
      orientations. Perhaps we can find grace, hope, and
      mercy through this teaching of Jesus. We can learn
      from our mistakes and life experiences. We can heal
      through counseling and time. Be gentle with yourself
      because a loveless or abusive marriage is always
      tragic.

      What is the relevance of this teaching by Jesus?
      After all, first century marriages had very little
      to do with love. Women were considered property and
      the men had all the legal advantages. In ancient
      Jewish relationships, only the men could decide to
      get a divorce. During Jesus' time both prevailing
      viewpoints of divorce were based on Moses' prior
      teachings. Moses assumed divorce was part of life
      (Deuteronomy 22:13-21; 24:1-4). His patriarchal
      view assumed the woman is always at fault. It is
      well for us to note that "God hates divorce"
      (Malachi 2:16), but divorce has been happening for
      thousands of years.

      F. F. Bruce makes an important point in his book,
      "The Hard Sayings of Jesus." Old Testament divorce
      was to a man's advantage. Women were not allowed
      any choice in the matter. They could be divorced
      if their husband found someone more attractive or
      who was a better cook.

      Jesus taught about divorce (Matthew 5:31-32; 19:3-9;
      Luke 16:18; Mark 10:2-12), and did not endorse the
      traditional anti-women viewpoints of his day.

      Even today many people of faith struggle to understand
      what Jesus really meant. Unfortunate people trapped
      in loveless marriages have agonized over literal and
      simplistic interpretations of these divorce statements.
      Others have remarried without a second thought. Then
      there are individuals who opt for the celibate life
      after a bitter divorce. Yet another point of view
      argues that these divorce teachings are only
      applicable to heterosexual couples who are allowed
      legal marriages.

      Whatever your situation and circumstances, let mutual
      respect, healing, and God's grace be evident in your
      intimate relationships. Work hard at nurturing your
      relationship and strive to honor your commitment vows.
      Many relationships are worth salvaging if both people
      in the relationship are willing to try and to work
      things out.

      But sometimes even with the best of intentions and
      effort, divorce is unavoidable and the relationship
      is clearly over. Strive to be amicable whenever
      possible. Seek counseling before remarriage and
      learn what went wrong in former relationships.
      Then humbly ask for God's blessing on your new life.
      Commit yourself to your new life partner daily above
      all others. Pray for your new relationship and ask
      for God's help one day at a time. Remember, to love
      and be loved are life's richest blessings.

      God, many of us have been divorced and remarried.
      Or perhaps the love has gone out of our holy unions
      or marriages. Give us grace and mercy as we reflect
      on this hard saying of Jesus. Amen.