Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 10, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 6:20 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 10, 2011

      Scriptural duels and temptation

      "Then the devil took Jesus to the holy city and placed
      him on the pinnacle of the temple, saying to him, 'If
      you are the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is
      written, "God will command the angels concerning you,"
      and "On their hands they will bear you up, so that you
      will not dash your foot against a stone."' Jesus said
      to the devil, 'Again it is written, "Do not put the
      Lord your God to the test."'"
      Matthew 4:5-7

      Jesus is involved in a scriptural duel. He and the
      devil are battling with Bible texts. Jesus is quoting
      scripture always in context. The devil, however, is
      using them out of context in a dangerous manner
      intended for harm. The devil uses scripture to tempt
      Christ. There is always enormous danger in isolating
      scripture out of context. It can be quoted correctly
      but with the wrong intent, with a hidden or not-so-
      hidden agenda.

      We see Jesus using scripture in context to accurately
      reveal God's truth. He did not "proof-text," that is
      using a word, a sentence, and even a paragraph out of
      context to prove our cherished point of view. Often
      this harms people who do not hold the same opinions.
      We are to follow Christ's example of interpreting
      scripture with scripture in context. This is often
      easier said than done.

      C. J. G. Montefiore, a noted Jewish scholar, writes
      that the wilderness temptations are written in the
      ancient rabbinical forms. "Jesus at each temptation
      overcomes the devil by a quotation from scripture,
      exactly in the rabbinical manner" (Quoted in James H.
      Blackmore, "Reflections on the Temptations of Christ,"
      p. 6). We do not have to be noted scholars to use
      scripture quotations accurately. It takes a humble
      heart and lifetime of reading, prayer, discernment,
      study, and maturing. We will make mistakes. It is
      part of being human. Reading all the Gospels again
      and again as part of our spiritual reading will help
      us grow up in God.

      God, the Bible is a very big book. Teach us to read
      it through the eyes and understanding of Jesus. Amen.