Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 3, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 3, 2011

      The radical genealogy of Jesus

      "An account of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah,
      the son of David, the son of Abraham."
      Matthew 1:1

      Genealogy defines us. We yearn to know where we
      have come from. I certainly do and find most people
      both want and need to know the answers to the
      following questions: Who am I? Where did I come
      from? What were my ancestors like? Why am I the
      way I am? What are the traditions, strengths, and
      weaknesses in my family tree?

      The Gospel of Matthew intentionally opens with the
      genealogy of Jesus Christ. Because so many modern
      readers are unaccustomed to the foreign sounding
      names, it is easy to skim through the first seventeen
      verses and miss the significant inclusion of four
      women found in verses 3, 5, and 6.

      The lives of Tamar (Genesis 38), Rahab (Joshua 2:1-
      21), Ruth (The Book of Ruth), and Bathsheba who was
      "the wife of Uriah" (2 Samuel 11-12) offer important
      insights and a unique perspective for our reading
      adventure through Matthew's Gospel. Women were
      rarely highlighted as spiritual leaders in the Old
      Testament. Females were not highly valued in that
      culture. They had no rights and could not own
      property. Their culture was completely patriarchal.

      Yet the radical genealogy of Jesus Christ recognizes
      these women. By including their names in the
      genealogy, they are no longer invisible. Their
      lives bring us contemporary and relevant insights
      through their spiritual sensitivity, leadership,
      courage, and obedience to God, although their lives
      were incredibly difficult.

      Matthew is making a significant theological point
      by naming them. There is a place in this Gospel
      for both men and women. I personally find this
      refreshing. So much of church history has been
      written from a patriarchal perspective, automatically
      excluding many great women of faith. Tamar, Rahab,
      Ruth, and the wife of Uriah help us better understand
      the family tree of Jesus the Messiah, the son of
      David, the son of Abraham.

      Perhaps we have excluded others through our own
      willingness to support societal traditions. Yet
      the genealogy of Jesus Christ helps us see people
      through holy eyes.

      God, teach us remarkable truths about Jesus in
      this genealogy so frequently overlooked. Bless
      us with contemporary and relevant insights for
      living through our own genealogy. Teach us to
      value the men and women in our lives.