Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 6, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 6, 2011

      Our power to bless

      "From the same mouth come blessing and cursing.
      My brothers and sisters, this ought not to be so."
      James 3:10

      We can only bless others when we learn to bless
      ourselves. People want to be blessed and actually
      yearn for it. Many spend a lifetime in search of
      the blessing. Henri Nouwen suggests to us that
      "blessing is a true sign of the Beloved" (Nouwen,
      Henri. "Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in
      a Secular World," p. 56). We need blessing to
      live well. Blessing is an ancient, cherished
      tradition found in many cultures and is worth
      reclaiming for the twenty-first century.

      Every one of us has been given the power to bless
      or curse ourselves and others. The power to bless
      is as close as our fingertips, as close as the
      words in our mouths. A future without blessing
      is bleak indeed. Blessings say "yes" to our
      belovedness. Blessing helps us find inner
      strength and empowerment, and to achieve our
      fullest potential.

      Cursing is destructive. It brings much harm and
      creates deep spiritual injuries. Cursing ridicules,
      demeans, rejects the other's belovedness, limits
      their potential, and accelerates negative and
      self-defeating behavior.

      What happens if we do not get blessing from those
      we love? It is intensely heart wrenching when we
      are either denied a blessing or we lose it through
      deeply personal words from those we love. Families
      that withhold or deny blessings hurt their children.
      Rejection and ridicule can be bitter pills to
      swallow.

      I once preached a sermon on today's verse. An
      engaged couple was in the congregation. They
      were so impressed with the power of blessing
      that they chose to include blessings as part
      of their wedding vows. I now include blessing
      materials in all my premarital and holy union
      counseling. Blessings beget blessing. Cursing
      begets cursing.

      Which will be your legacy? Blessing or cursing?

      God, watch my mouth today. Teach me how to
      bless others and myself. Amen.