Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 27, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 27, 2011

      Who am I?

      "Then Jesus said to him, 'What do you want me to do
      for you?' The blind man said to him, 'My teacher,
      let me see again.'"
      Mark 10:51

      The major difference between journal writing and
      keeping a diary is that a diary only records the
      daily events in our life. A journal may begin there,
      but in it is a record of much more. In journals,
      writers record how those events affect them. Journal
      writing helps us sort through feelings about daily
      life, our relationships, and the events in the world
      around us. Journals help us to talk with ourselves.
      Journals reflect back to us, in ink or pencil, what
      we see, what our minds think and our hearts feel.

      Anne Broyles suggests journal writing is greatly
      helped by asking the following questions, "Who am I?
      What am I doing and why? How do I feel about my life
      and my world? In what ways am I changing or growing?"
      (Broyles, Anne. "Journaling. A Spirit Journey," p.
      24).

      Many people find this kind of writing a helpful
      spiritual discipline. Sacred writings from different
      religious traditions can be a powerful starting
      place. Other writers respond to personal meditation
      walks or are inspired to write after a time of silence.
      We can jot down daily events and reflect more deeply.

      Many people have found keeping a gratitude journal a
      profound life changing and empowering discipline.
      This kind of journal can be a simple list, made at
      the end of the day, of several things that we are
      grateful for. We can give thanks for experiences as
      simple as breathing, seeing, hearing, and tasting, a
      kind touch, a gentle breeze, and a moment of rest.

      Imagine how impoverished we would be if our favorite
      spiritual writers did not journal their struggles,
      prayers, inner reflections, and outward lives. We
      are likewise impoverished when we do not journal our
      own. After all, "every life has a story" (Biography
      magazine's motto). Story telling helps us figure out
      who we are and whose we are.

      God, who am I? What am I doing and why? How am I
      changing or growing? Amen.