Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 20, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 20, 2011

      Body prayer

      "Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge."
      Psalm 16:1

      Today I want to teach you a body prayer I learned
      several years ago at the Shalem Institute for
      Spiritual Formation. I began teaching it in
      contemplative prayer workshops and churches and
      sometimes used it while inviting people to the
      communion table. I have seen many people
      responding to its power in interfaith groups.
      Perhaps it will be a blessing for you today.
      As you move and breathe, feel free to adapt it
      however you are most comfortable. It can be
      helpful for crisis, stress, and times of inner
      chaos and confusion.

      The body movements are simple. Find a quiet and
      private place where you will not be interrupted.
      Either stand or sit in a comfortable position.
      Relax and prepare yourself with simply breathing
      in the word "love" and then breathing out the
      word "peace." When you are ready, gently place
      your hands together in the universal prayer
      position. Raise your arms up to the sky with
      all your spoken and unspoken questions and
      feelings. Slowly open your arms and your spirit
      to the answers you will receive in your interior
      center. Linger as long as you are comfortable.
      When you wish to move on, quietly and tenderly
      hug yourself in a spirit of gentleness and
      kindness. Quietly open your hands to be more
      available and attentive to your spirit. Repeat
      these simple body movements for wordless meditation
      several times. Rest. Be. Wait. Enjoy your quiet
      inner spirit. Perhaps journal a word, a phrase, a
      sentence of what happened in your prayer.

      God, bless this simple body prayer beyond our
      expectations. Amen.