Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 30, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 30, 2011

      Pray at all times

      "Pray in the Spirit at all times in every prayer and
      supplication. To that end keep alert and always
      persevere in supplication for all the saints."
      Ephesians 6:18

      Today's scripture reminds us to pray in the power
      of the Holy Spirit at all times. I need to be alert
      and pray with perseverance for all the saints. I
      understand this intellectually, but I need help to
      practice this in my prayer life. Sometimes I simply
      do not know how or for what to pray. I also get
      lazy in prayer. My mind wanders. My attention
      span is fitful.

      My associate pastor knows the benefits of spiritual
      vigilance and has successfully helped church members
      benefit from it in daily life. Several years ago,
      my church organized a twenty-four hour prayer vigil
      for the new year. People signed up around the clock
      and the church was filled with people praying. The
      preacher called people to leave their baggage of the
      past year behind. A new year had new baggage for
      them to carry. Let the old go and take up the new.
      Several saints felt called to give up smoking during
      their prayer vigils. One had smoked cigarettes for
      more than forty years. She had been told if she does
      not give up the nicotine, the nicotine would have her
      life in five years or less. Another had been a heavy
      smoker for twenty-four years. She cannot remember
      being a non-smoker. Both quit cold turkey at midnight.
      They stepped out in faith to leave old self-destructive
      habits behind. Both have resumed smoking and feel
      spiritually defeated. They struggle daily with
      nicotine addiction.

      I sympathize because I used to be a heavy smoker. It
      took years before I eventually was able to stop smoking.
      Even after fifteen years of nonsmoking, I resolve each
      and every day to be smoke free one day at a time. Just
      as many struggle with drugs and alcohol, I struggled
      with cigarettes. I sometimes wonder how many people
      patiently and quietly prayed for me during the years
      I struggled with my nicotine addiction. I will never
      know. But I do know this if people had not prayed for
      me, I would still be smoking today.

      Never underestimate the power of your prayers. Pray
      often for others. Pray with alertness, compassion,
      patience, and perseverance. Pray with Holy Spirit
      power. You may save someone's life through your
      prayers.

      God, hear the cries and struggles of our hearts.
      Teach us to pray constantly in the Spirit and in
      our spirits, with renewed alertness, dedication,
      and perseverance for others and ourselves. Amen.