Chi Rho Reflection for the week of Sept. 9, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2001
      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Vanessa Moore.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Mark 15:33-39

      'And the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top
      to bottom.'

      The religious Jews of Jesus' day were afraid to look on
      Good directly. The curtain of the Temple separated the
      people from the holy of holies. Year after year, the
      people of God strove to make themselves perfect by
      following the laws as closely as possible. Year after
      year, the high priests offered sacrifices for the
      people's sins. Year after year, the curtain between
      God and the people remained.

      Jesus' death changed all that. Jesus broke down the
      barriers between God and us. The crucifixion speaks
      of the ultimate sacrifice, the laying down of life
      for the forgiveness of all our sins.

      We're still not the perfect people of God, but we are
      a forgiven people. Jesus' death on the cross united us
      with God forever. Now, therefore, '. . . we have
      confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus,
      by the new and living way which Jesus opened for us
      through the curtain . . . for the one who promised is
      faithful.' (Hebrews 10:19, 23)

      Sometimes the hardest thing to accept is the fact that
      God loves us just as we are. Sometimes we twist o
      urselves into knots trying to be perfect, thinking that
      if we could just achieve perfection, then we would
      become God's children. Our effort to follow the laws
      never justifies us; only Christ does. Through Christ,
      we are all God's children. Through Christ, we are all
      forgiven.

      Reflect today on what is separating you from God. Do
      you feel you must be perfect before you can receive
      God's forgiveness? Are you convinced God will never
      forgive you because you cannot forgive yourself? The
      good news Christ brings is that no mistake, no fault,
      no sin can separate you from the love of God. Draw
      near. Tear down that curtain.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,