Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 2, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 2, 2011

      **********

      Happy New Year to all our Chi Rho Press subscribers
      and friends. May 2011 be filled with every good
      thing for you all.

      Love

      "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious
      or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist
      on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it
      does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the
      truth. It bears all things, believes all things,
      hopes all things, endures all things."
      1 Corinthians 13:4-7

      The older I get, the more grateful I am for love.
      On my home refrigerator hangs a magnet that reads,
      "To love and be loved is the greatest gift."
      Another magnet reads, "Kindness - a language deaf
      people can hear and blind people see." My favorite
      phrase, however, comes from the Bible and is
      engraved on my favorite coffee cup, "Most of all,
      let love guide your life" (Colossians 3:14 TLB).

      Many people are surprised to learn the Bible is a
      wonderful love story. We can find our place in the
      Bible story by simply reading the Gospel accounts
      of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The storybook
      uses many different words for love. Those words
      describe erotic love, platonic friendship, and
      God's enormous and unconditional love for us in
      all its fullness and beauty. Love is the greatest
      force in the universe and, I believe, it is our
      greatest blessing.

      The Bible tells two great truths about God. The
      first is summed up in three words, "God is love"
      (1 John 4:16b). Evidence that shows God and love
      are one is found throughout all the stories,
      dramas, parables, and ancient Biblical narratives.

      The second astonishing truth is that the God of
      Creation is deeply and passionately in love with
      us (John 3:16 and 1 John 4:10). No matter how
      unlovable we feel, God loves us. God's love for
      us is boundless and deeper than any ocean, higher
      than any mountain. We can never fully un-derstand
      the depth and commitment of God's love for us.
      God's love is a free gift and great mystery.
      Gratitude can be our only response.

      What is love? Love is God. Love is patient and
      kind; never arro-gant or rude or irritable or
      resentful. God's love never ends. We are God's
      beloved and called to live loving lives. Being
      in love with God is our highest calling.

      The New Year awaits us with all its wonders and
      uncertainties. May our love grow deeper with
      every passing day for God, others, and ourselves.

      Give us more love, dear God. Overflow our hearts.
      Help us love. Amen.