Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 19, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 19, 2010

      It is not too late to order your the new Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary for the 2010-2011 Church
      Year, Year A, on sale now for only $12.95 each plus
      shipping and handling. Read about it and order at:

      We also invite you to do your Christmas shopping at
      Chi Rho Press this year. Our selection of books,
      tapes, stained glass, and sterling silver MCC crosses
      and logos make great gifts. Please review our entire
      catalog at http://www.chirhopress.com

      A praise hymn of liberation theology

      "And Mary said, 'My soul magnifies the Lord, and my
      spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for he has looked
      with favour on the lowliness of his servant. Surely,
      from now on all generations will call me blessed.'"
      Luke 1:46-48

      I could easily listen to Christmas music year round,
      never tiring of the wonderful carols of faith, hope,
      and love. One of the great seasonal joys is the many
      lessons and carols offered by various churches, and
      attending the marvelous Christmas concerts. Who has
      not thrilled to Ave Maria and the Magnificat, inspired
      by Mary, the holy mother of God, the revered theotokos

      The Virgin Mary is the most beloved woman in the
      entire Bible. Her faith journey has inspired millions
      throughout the centuries. While living in obscurity,
      the young teenager was literally touched by the angel
      Gabriel, with a very special message from God. When
      Mary said "yes" to God's plan for her life, world
      history changed forever. The young woman became
      pregnant with God.

      After her angelic visit, the miraculously pregnant
      teenager hastened to seek the companionship of
      Elizabeth. Elizabeth was an aged relative well beyond
      childbearing years. Somehow she too had conceived and
      was miraculously pregnant with the child who would
      become known as John the Baptist.

      Young Mary and elderly Elizabeth spent three encouraging
      months together (Luke 1:56). Both understood God had
      divinely chosen them to birth remarkable children for
      a holy purpose beyond their comprehension.

      Upon Mary's arrival, while overcome with emotion the
      younger woman burst into a hymn of praise, now known
      as the Magnificat (Luke 1:46-56). Mary understood
      all generations would call her blessed. Her glorious
      hymn is among the most cherished in all of scripture,
      possibly inspired by an earlier hymn of praise by a
      woman named Hannah (1 Samuel 2:1-10).

      Mary joyously sings of the amazing spiritual revolution
      God has called her to participate in, through the birth
      of her remarkable child. She sings of liberation
      theology, worship, and of God's remarkable compassion
      for the outcast, downtrodden, oppressed, and forgotten
      people in the world.

      If you have never heard the Magnificat sung before, I
      urge you to do so this year. Consider memorizing
      parts of her hymn through the lovely words in Luke's
      gospel. Your soul and spirit will rejoice.

      With Mary, my soul glorifies and rejoices in you, God
      my Savior. You are as mindful of my humble state, as
      you were with young Mary. Blessed be your name
      forever and ever. Amen.