Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 12, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 12, 2010

      **********
      It is not too late to order your the new Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary for the 2010-2011 Church
      Year, Year A, on sale now for only $12.95 each plus
      shipping and handling. Read about it and order at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa10_11.html

      We also invite you to do your Christmas shopping at
      Chi Rho Press this year. Our selection of books,
      tapes, stained glass, and sterling silver MCC crosses
      and logos make great gifts. Please review our entire
      catalog at http://www.chirhopress.com

      Teddy bears and caring friends

      "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of
      his faithful ones."
      Psalm 116:15

      Months before Grandpa's death, Grandma had asked me
      to perform his funeral. That funeral was one of the
      hardest things I have ever done in my life. I will
      always remember Grandma sitting in front of me,
      surrounded by their numerous grandchildren, great
      grandchildren, and great great grandchildren, as I
      preached the homily. They had been married for
      seventy-two years. The funeral home was overflowing
      with visitors. Many had traveled great distances to
      comfort Grandma in her grief and bereavement.

      Before the casket was closed, many people gravely
      walked to the casket for a final viewing. One of
      the great great grandchildren quietly placed her
      cherished teddy bear in the casket so her beloved
      Grandpapa would have a toy to play with in heaven.

      In that moment, a little child taught us a great
      truth about God's love and concern for grieving
      people. We are precious to God. God cares when
      our hearts are sorrowing. Someday there will be
      a heavenly reunion with loved ones. Death is not
      the end, only a transition into another life. So
      pack your teddy bears for an eternity of playtime
      with God. Sorrow will someday be turned into joy.

      The Christmas season sometimes brings overpowering
      memories of grief over the loss of loved ones. Be
      gentle and considerate of people in grief while
      honoring your own feelings of sadness. Perhaps a
      bereaved friend needs a teddy bear for comfort, a
      hug, and your companionship. A great gift for
      people in sorrow is our time and compassion long
      after the funeral is over. Although sharing old
      photos and memories may not fit into a Christmas
      stocking, your holiday visit might promote healing
      and some relief from loneliness. Be especially
      sensitive to closeted gay and lesbian friends who
      lack sympathetic and loving public recognition of
      their losses of life partners and friends. Our
      world does not always honor such loving relationships.
      Who knows they might need a teddy bear from a caring
      friend.

      Compassionate God, thank you for the comfort of
      teddy bears and caring friends. As Christmas
      approaches, help me be sensitive to those in public
      and private sorrow. Bring to my attention those in
      need of a hug, a visit, and my listening ear this
      holiday season. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.