Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 5, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 5, 2010

      **********
      It is not too late to order your the new Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary for the 2010-2011 Church
      Year, Year A, on sale now for only $12.95 each plus
      shipping and handling. Read about it and order at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa10_11.html

      We also invite you to do your Christmas shopping at
      Chi Rho Press this year. Our selection of books,
      tapes, stained glass, and sterling silver MCC crosses
      and logos make great gifts. Please review our entire
      catalog at http://www.chirhopress.com

      Envy versus contentment

      "A tranquil mind gives life to the flesh, but passion
      makes the bones rot."
      Proverbs 14:30

      True contentment is characterized by God's deep peace
      within our hearts. Wealth cannot buy this priceless
      treasure. Envy on the other hand, destroys inner
      serenity.

      Deep-seated jealousies rob people of deep contentment
      and can take years off their lives. Envy consumes and
      destroys peace of mind and happiness.

      Over the years, I have known many individuals whose
      consuming envy literally destroyed their health along
      with the well being of their families. Such toxic
      and life-draining envy is worse than poison. Envying
      another person's lover, family, career, achievements,
      possessions, and money only brings discontentment
      with great potential for destruction.

      To find personal deep abiding contentment, individuals
      must learn to take responsibility for their life choices
      and actions. Their blame games must stop. Otherwise
      they will be as forever restless as a breaking wave on
      the ocean, constantly searching for an ever-illusive
      contentment. In the process, toxic perspectives spill
      over and contaminate the lives of others.

      There is a transforming cure for such life-draining,
      toxic envy and discontent. Begin a lifestyle of
      counting your blessings. Daily offer heartfelt
      prayers of gratitude for the little things in your
      life. Develop your own personal theology of enough.
      As you learn to be satisfied with what you have, be
      grateful and express your appreciation through prayer.
      Be courageous enough to look deep within your heart
      for sources of your discontent. Humbly ask God for
      a change of heart. Reach out for help. The life
      you save may be your own.

      God, you are my ultimate source of satisfaction and
      contentment. Transform my heart and mind with a
      fresh attitude of gratitude and deep peace. Heal
      me from envy. Give me courage when needed to change
      destructive, bitter, and jealous attitudes wherever
      they may exist. Make me a source of blessing in the
      process. Amen.