Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 28, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 28, 2010

      **********
      Today is the First Sunday in Advent, the beginning
      of the new church year. It is not too late to order
      your the new Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary for
      the 2010-2011 Church Year, Year A, on sale now for
      only $12.95 each plus shipping and handling. Read
      about it and order at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa10_11.html

      Life after death

      "He took her by the hand and said to her, 'Talitha
      cum,' which means, 'Little girl, get up!' And
      immediately the girl got up and began to walk about
      (she was twelve years of age). At this they were
      overcome with amazement. He strictly ordered them
      that no one should know this, and told them to give
      her something to eat."
      Mark 5:41-43

      I love stories with a happy ending. When the
      disbelieving crowd of mourners departed to another
      area, only then would Jesus perform his astonishing
      miracle. He did it in relative seclusion, away from
      the prying eyes of those who ridiculed him. In the
      presence of the little girl's parents, and Peter,
      James, and John, Jesus gently took the little girl's
      hand and said in Aramaic, "Little girl, I say to you,
      get up!" The Bible tells us the twelve-year-old
      girl awoke from the dead, stood up, and walked.
      She who had once been dead was now alive.

      It is impossible to know who was most astonished.
      We can only imagine the tears of joy running down
      the parents' faces. Even the seasoned disciples,
      so accustomed to Jesus' amazing powers, were
      flabbergasted. They had seen Jesus do incredible
      things but to raise someone from the dead! They
      were speechless. Perhaps even the little girl was
      surprised at all the fuss being made about her. She
      was not only very much alive, but even hungry. Jesus,
      grinning with delight, reunited the living child to
      her forever-grateful parents. The little bedroom
      formerly filled with such sorrow and despair, was
      now full of happy laughter and celebration. Jesus
      had to gently remind the ecstatic parents to give
      their daughter something to eat.

      So why would Jesus then hush the joyful parents and
      disciples, admonishing them to be silent about this
      miracle? As Jesus' popularity among the common people
      of that area grew, so did his opposition from religious
      leaders. It would only be a matter of time before the
      religious authorities would plot and scheme for his
      death. But as much as the grateful parents wanted to
      keep this miracle secret, the word of this amazing
      event would immediately fly around the Galilean
      countryside the moment the little girl walked out of
      her bedroom.

      What can we learn from this amazing story about faith,
      hope, and love? In my opinion, Jesus is more than a
      miracle worker he can raise the dead. For the
      believer, death is not the end. We can have hope
      beyond the grave and look forward to reuniting with
      loved ones in eternity. This is what I believe.
      What do you believe about this amazing story?

      O God, thank you for this amazing story of faith, hope,
      and love. Give us the eyes of faith to see this miracle
      of life after death. Bless us with hope beyond the
      grave. We pray for these things in the powerful name
      of Jesus Christ, who can raise the dead. Amen.