Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 14, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 14, 2010

      **********
      Please see the new Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary for
      the 2010-2011 Church Year, Year A, on sale now for only
      $12.95 each plus shipping and handling. Read about it and
      order at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa10_11.html

      United States customers, please remember when
      ordering on the Web site secure server to select
      "US Postal Service Parcel Post" rather than the
      default setting of UPS Ground. It is much less
      expensive!

      Get back to the basics

      "Now all the tax-collectors and sinners were coming
      near to listen to him. And the Pharisees and the
      scribes were grumbling and saying, 'This fellow
      welcomes sinners and eats with them.'"
      Luke 15:1-2

      The Christian life can become quite a complicated
      dance with our religious zeal, dogmas, rules, and
      denominational standards of conduct and worship.
      Most people simply need the basics that Jesus
      shares in the Gospels. He is the friend of sinners.
      While ancient Jewish religious authorities muttered
      and criticized him for spending time with sinners,
      there are contemporary parallels with these verses
      for Christians today.

      We need to get back to the basics. We need to sit
      with sinners and learn to identify as one. We need
      to not be condescending friends and genuinely care
      for those the formal church views as outcast and
      less important. So let us sit with Jesus and review
      the basics through the next three reflections. Every
      word of scripture breathes God's love and compassion
      for human beings of all kinds. God is a missionary
      in search of the lost. God is the tender searcher
      who refuses to stop looking for us.

      Dear God, I am a sinner. I wish to sit with Jesus
      and relearn the basics of your loving message. Amen.