Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 31, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31 12:48 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 31, 2010

      Please see the new Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary for
      the 2010-2011 Church Year, Year A, on sale now for only
      $12.95 each plus shipping and handling. Read about it and
      order at:

      Enjoying God

      A Prayer of Moses, the man of God.
      "Lord, you have been our dwelling-place
      in all generations.
      Before the mountains were brought forth,
      or ever you had formed the earth and the world,
      from everlasting to everlasting you are God."
      Psalm 90:1-2 and

      "I lift up my eyes to the hills --
      from where will my help come?
      My help comes from the Lord,
      who made heaven and earth."
      Psalm 121:1-2

      Recently a friend and I went on a long anticipated
      hike that was two years in the making. The previous
      year had schedule conflicts and our mountain hike
      was cancelled. As months went by, we remembered
      our ambitious plan and rescheduled the hike.
      Inclement weather conditions canceled the hike
      yet again. This time we had actually driven near
      the vicinity of the trailhead. As a result, we
      were so inspired by the local beauty that we
      rearranged our schedules to try again several
      days later.

      The third time around was a charm. The weather was
      glorious, but the road was poorly marked and we lost
      several precious hours searching for the trailhead.
      My friend had a cell phone and we used it twice to
      call the local ranger station and ask for directions.
      Each time, the ranger apologetically said, "I'm sorry,
      but I cannot help you." The maps for the area had not
      been updated.

      We eventually found the trailhead and had a glorious
      hike. As the afternoon shadows grew longer, it was
      obvious that we were still several hours away from
      the summit. It would be impossible to complete the
      hike before darkness fell. So we lingered with the
      soaring hawks, ate lunch, and marveled at the panoramic
      view before reluctantly returning the way we came.

      While on the rocky perch, I had pulled out my Gideon's
      International Pocket New Testament with Psalms and
      Proverbs and read today's lovely verses. I was
      tremendously impressed with the grandeur of the
      mountains, the silence, the beauty of the trail,
      and life in general. Surely God must have lingered
      and enjoyed the creation process. The good earth is
      full of beauty. It was wonderful to be in the high
      places with God!

      During the long hike back, I found myself thinking
      about faith. There are times where the path seems
      lost. It can be hard to find the trailhead. The
      trail switchbacks can be discouraging when fatigue
      and blisters set in. Sometimes we go three steps
      forward and two steps backwards, unable to see the
      top or bottom of the trail. Hiking is a rich metaphor
      for life. God walks with us step by step. God has
      always been and always will be present with us. God
      will never forsake us, even if the trail seems to

      The spiritual life, like creation, is a process that
      is constantly evolving. God is patient with the
      process! Oswald Chambers once wrote, "Think of the
      enormous leisure of God! [God] is never in a hurry"
      (Chambers, Oswald. "My Utmost for His Highest."
      l935, Dodd Mead & Co., renewed 1963 by the Oswald
      Chambers Publications Assn., Ltd., p. 95). God is
      not in a hurry with our souls but invites us into
      moments of holy leisure. During those moments, we
      are not required to do anything, accomplish work,
      or complete chores. We are invited into moments
      where our highest calling is to enjoy God.

      Yes, it would have been lovely to reach the summit,
      but the faith life is more than a single mountain
      top experience. The journey is sometimes more
      important than the destination. My publisher,
      Adam DeBaugh shared with me one of his favorite
      hymns after reading this meditation. It is by
      contemporary Christian hymn writer Ruth Duck and
      is called "Lead On, O Cloud of Yahweh" (Duck, Ruth.
      "Everflowing Streams: Songs for Worship." 1981,
      The Pilgrim Press, New York, p. 77). The second
      verse is,

      Lead on, O fiery pillar,
      We follow yet with fears,
      But we shall come rejoicing
      Though joy be born of tears.
      We are not lost, though wandering,
      For by your light we come,
      And we are still God's people,
      The journey is our home.

      "The journey is our home!" Remember to keep looking
      up. Lift up your eyes to the high places. God will
      help you step by step.

      Dearest mountain-creating God, thank you for such a
      beautiful creation. Thank you for the high places.
      Thank you for being God. Help me enjoy being with
      you. Amen.