Chi Rho Connection, Vol. XI, No. 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2010

      Vol. XI, No. 3

      1. National Coming Out Day
      2. Satire: Gay Marriage
      3. 2010-2011 Liturgical Calendar Published!
      4. Sterling Silver MCC Crosses and Logos

      1. National Coming Out Day

      This edition of the Chi Rho Connection is being
      published on a day with four important holidays
      (even though I had to work at my secular job today!).
      First, it's the observance of Columbus Day in the
      United States, commemorating the arrival of the
      first illegal immigrants to the Americas. One
      wag on Facebook suggested we go into someone's
      house and simply declare that we live there now,
      just as Columbus did with the indigenous peoples
      he found in the Americas.

      Second, it is Thanksgiving Day in Canada! Happy
      Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends! You have
      much to be thankful for, not the least of which
      is legal marriage equality for same gender
      couples throughout your great land. We US
      folks give thanks for your witness up north!

      Third, it is National Coming Out Day. This year,
      our hearts are heavy with the news of so many of
      our LGBTQ teens that are committing suicide as a
      result of bullying in their middle schools, high
      schools, and universities. This epidemic must end.
      Schools must be made safe places for our children.
      And LGBTQ and questioning young people need to know
      that It Gets Better.

      Please, do whatever you can to help protect our
      young people from bullying and self-hatred. Join
      an organization like NGLTF, HRC, PFLAG, or others.
      Support Dan Savage's It Gets Better campaign on
      line (just Google It Gets Better and see some of
      the PSAs people have made). We especially recommend
      your support of the Trevor Project, a national 24-
      hour, toll free confidential suicide hotline for
      gay and questioning youth, at http://www.thetrevorproject.org/

      I have been out since 1972, and that was after my
      partner of seven years passed away, though we had
      been closeted throughout our relationship and
      college, so I guess I was out at least to my self
      and one special other since 1965. Believe me, it
      is worth it! The Scriptures tell us that the truth
      will make you free (John 8:32). So if you have not
      come out, please do so! Whether you are Gay,
      Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex,
      Questioning, or supportive Straight Allies. Come
      out!

      Oh, and the fourth important holiday? Why, it is
      the Vicar of Dibley's birthday! Dawn French was
      born on October 11, 1957!

      2. Satire: Ten Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong

      (This has been floating around the Internet since at
      least 2005, but I am not sure who the author is. I
      would be grateful if anyone knows! But it is good
      satire and hopefully will make people think. For
      our international readers, I apologize for the US-
      centric language.)

      01) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always
      reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester,
      and air conditioning.

      02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in
      the same way that hanging around tall people will make
      you tall.

      03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all
      kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry
      their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign
      a marriage contract.

      04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and
      hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks
      still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

      05) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay
      marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears'
      55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

      06) Straight marriages are valid because they produce
      children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old
      people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our
      orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more
      children.

      07) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children,
      since straight parents only raise straight children.

      08) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a
      theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are
      imposed on the entire country. That's why we have
      only one religion in America.

      09) Children can never succeed without a male and a
      female role model at home. That's why we as a society
      expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

      10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of
      society; we could never adapt to new social norms.
      Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-
      sector economy, or longer life spans.

      3. 2010-2011 Liturgical Calendar Published!

      We are proud to announce the publication of the
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary for Year A, which
      starts with the first Sunday in Advent, November
      28, 2010. Chi Rho Press' annual Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary for 2010-2011 is ready to ship. You
      may view it and order it at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa10_11.html

      The 2010-2011 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      sells for $12.95 each, $10.50 each for six or more
      copies, plus shipping and handling.

      The Lectionary in the Liturgical Calendar is from the
      Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the
      ecumenical consensus on readings for each Sunday and
      holy day in the three-year cycle of the church year.
      Our Liturgical Calendar is packed with useful
      information for planning worship and preaching in
      the local church. It is intended for use by pastors,
      musicians, altar guilds, teachers, theological students,
      and anyone using the Church Year as a basis for worship
      or education. The Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound
      so it can lie flat for easy use, in the popular 8 ½" x
      11" format.

      Featured in this new Liturgical Calendar are these
      sections: A Heading that identifies the day in the
      church year (for example, the first Sunday of Advent)
      with alternative descriptions where appropriate.

      The Revised Common Lectionary readings, including
      a brief summary of each reading. (These are intended
      as only a very brief overview to identify general
      themes as an aid to worship planning. We do not
      represent them as anything approaching a thorough
      exegesis.)

      The First Reading is usually from the Hebrew Testament,
      but there are exceptions, such as the use of readings
      from Acts during the Easter season. These are sometimes
      selected thematically to fit the Liturgical Calendar,
      but often are simply being read through key passages
      over a series of weeks. This is followed by a Response,
      usually a Psalm. The Epistle Reading is next, like the
      Hebrew Testament Reading typically a series of key
      passages from the same book being read over a number
      of weeks. Finally the Gospel Reading follows the story
      of Jesus through the Christmas and Easter cycles, plus
      the teachings of Jesus the rest of the year.

      Next is a section called "Worship Planning." This
      includes suggestions for decorations or symbols for
      special seasons, such as Advent wreaths; the
      liturgical color for the day; etc.

      Rev. Witt has added Notes in the Worship Planning
      section, which serve to explain in more detail
      information about the time of the church year,
      provide resources for further study and information,
      and develop liturgical themes to make your worship
      experience more rich and meaningful.

      Then comes a section called "Special Events," which
      includes any special events occurring that day or that
      week that you may wish to commemorate, such as
      national holidays or special holy days in other religions,
      and some special occasions for celebrations of
      diversity, such as celebration days for specific
      cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and special days for
      the GLBT community (e.g., a day of remembrance for
      Matthew Shepherd).

      As a special added section, we have included
      alternative readings for the four Sundays of
      Pride-Tide (June) prepared by the Rev. Gordon
      McCoy. The four sets of readings for Pride-Tide
      may be used at any time in the year that the faith
      community celebrates LGBT Pride. The standard
      Revised Common Lectionary readings are included
      for the four Sundays in June as well.

      In addition, the Rev. Gordon McCoy has given us
      a special entry for World AIDS Day, December 1st,
      with scripture readings and a history of MCC’s
      involvement in creating World AIDS Day.

      The 2010-2011 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful
      aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well
      as a useful resource for all who want to know more
      about the Church year and the rich liturgical life
      of the Church Universal. We think you will like
      this Liturgical Calendar.

      Order the 2011 Calendar today at this new link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa10_11.html

      The 2011 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells for
      $12.95 each, $10.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      4. Sterling Silver MCC Crosses and Logos

      Chi Rho Press, your MCC LGBT Christian publishing
      house, again carries Solid Sterling Silver MCC
      crosses and logos!

      A Gay jewelry artist has cast the traditional MCC
      Chi Rho cross and the newer MCC logo in Solid
      Sterling Silver for Chi Rho Press.

      The traditional MCC Cross with the overlapped Greek
      letters Chi and Rho in the center (a traditional
      monogram for Christ, being the first letters in
      the Greek word Christos) and the Greek letters
      Alpha and Omega on the cross bar (the first and
      last letters in the Greek alphabet, signifying
      the Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the
      beginning and the end). On the reverse of the
      cross is the dove of the Holy Spirit. The Solid
      Sterling Silver crosses are 13/16 inches wide and
      1 inch tall, and sell for $19.95 each, plus shipping
      and handling. Six or more are $14.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      The new MCC logo on a round pendant with the flame
      of the Holy Spirit intersecting the stylized globe.
      The Solid Sterling Silver MCC logos are 7/8 inch in
      diameter, and sell for $24.95 each, plus shipping
      and handling. Six or more are $18.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      Please see and order your MCC Crosses or MCC Logos
      at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/silver_jewelry.html

      Please encourage members of your church to participate
      in the special fund raising offer from Chi Rho Press.
      We will make a donation of 10% of all sales from
      people who mention your congregation in the "Special
      Instructions and Comments" box on the check out page.
      Please let your people know as soon as possible about
      this opportunity to help both our ministries.

      *****

      Shipping and Handling Tip: This tip will be
      especially important if you are ordering one or
      two Liturgical Calendars!

      When you are ordering from the Chi Rho Press Web
      site, be sure to tell us your preferred shipping
      method. The way the shopping cart is set up, the
      shipping method defaults to United Parcel Service.
      This is NOT the most economical way to ship for
      orders under seven pounds. If you want the most
      inexpensive shipping (within the United States)
      it is usually best to pick USPS (United States
      Postal Service Domestic Parcel Post) for packages
      weighing under seven pounds. UPS (United Parcel
      Service) Ground is more economical for packages
      heavier than seven pounds. The shopping cart will
      tell you how much your order weighs in the box right
      next to your order amount and price. There is a link
      there to change your shipping method as well.

      When I order one copy of the Liturgical Calendar and
      allow the default UPS Ground shipping method, the
      shipping cost is almost as much as the book, $10.11!
      But if I change the shipping method to USPS Parcel
      Post shipping is only $6.28, and it is $6.46 for USPS
      Priority Mail.

      Be smart shoppers and choose your shipping options
      carefully to avoid paying too much!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      Brother R. Adam DeBaugh, OSL