Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 26, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 26, 2010

      Take and eat

      "When it was evening, Jesus took his place with the
      twelve; and while they were eating, he said, 'Truly
      I tell you, one of you will betray me.' And they
      became greatly distressed and began to say to him
      one after another, 'Surely not I, Lord?' He answered,
      'The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with
      me will betray me. The Son of Man goes as it is
      written of him, but woe to that one by whom the Son
      of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for
      that one not to have been born.' Judas, who betrayed
      him, said, 'Surely not I, Rabbi?' He replied, 'You
      have said so.' While they were eating, Jesus took
      a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it,
      gave it to the disciples, and said, 'Take, eat; this
      is my body.' Then he took a cup, and after giving
      thanks he gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it,
      all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant,
      which is poured out for many for the forgiveness
      of sins. I tell you, I will never again drink of
      this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink
      it new with you in my Father´┐Żs kingdom.' When they
      had sung the hymn, they went out to the Mount of
      Olives."
      Matthew 26:20-30

      All the gospels bring us to this remarkable final
      Passover meal Christ ate with his disciples the
      night before his crucifixion. Christian churches
      have called this meal a variety of names, "Holy
      Communion," "the Eucharist," and "the Last Supper."
      It is a sacrament that has been reclaimed by every
      generation of believers.

      All the disciples were deeply saddened at Jesus'
      words. They could not understand who the betrayer
      would be. Jesus had known from the very beginning
      of his ministry when he handpicked the twelve
      disciples. At this holy symbolic meal, Jesus gave
      Judas Iscariot permission to leave the table in
      order to betray him (John 13:30). Even at the
      table, Judas had a chance to change his mind and
      dedicate himself to Jesus. Instead, Judas allowed
      evil to lead him into unholy actions.

      Christian Protestant and Catholic churches often
      differ on how to remember Christ through this meal.
      Some insist formal church membership and
      denominational identity are required to partake
      of communion. There are churches who offer this
      meal daily and others only on a monthly, quarterly,
      or even annual basis. Certain denominations prohibit
      "practicing" gay and lesbian Christians from this
      table. Others insist women must take this meal
      with their heads covered and believe only men are
      allowed to serve the bread and wine. I have known
      youth pastors who have served this meal with soda
      pop and potato chips in an attempt to be "culturally
      relevant." Regrettably, bitter disagreements can
      exist among Christians when it comes to sharing this
      holy meal. Religion can be terribly divisive.

      The table of God, however, is bigger than our
      differences. Everyone is invited. Jesus simply
      said, "Take and eat." Seekers, skeptics, doubters,
      betrayers, loyal disciples of all sexual orientations
      are invited to this meal.

      Whenever possible, experience this sacrament in the
      community of believers. But through the centuries,
      many have shared this sacred meal in the privacy of
      their homes and at retreat centers. Begin by
      preparing your heart in advance to receive divine
      grace and blessing, allowing some scheduled time
      for silent listening to God before reading your
      selected scriptures. You can include other readings
      for contemplation perhaps even today's reflection!
      Give yourself some quiet time for personal meditation
      and prayer. Write down your thoughts in a journal.
      Then take a bit of bread or crackers and some juice
      or wine. Ask God to consecrate these simple elements
      as you remember what Christ has so lovingly done for
      you. Give thanks to God. Meditate in silence and
      sit at the table with Jesus. Enjoy the sweet communion
      and friendship he offers you. It is that simple.

      Bless us as we partake of this holy meal, God.
      Help us see Jesus as we sit at the table. Amen.