Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 12, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 12, 2010

      Take off the mask

      Jesus said, "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees,
      hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs,
      which on the outside look beautiful, but inside
      they are full of the bones of the dead and of all
      kinds of filth. So you also on the outside look
      righteous to others, but inside you are full of
      hypocrisy and lawlessness."
      Matthew 23:27-28

      Our morality needs to be more than skin deep.
      Jesus knows our inner make-up. We can try to
      pass ourselves off as someone we are not, but
      God is not fooled. God knows our hearts (Luke
      16:15).

      John A. Sanford reminds us that the Pharisees were
      perceived as the perfect examples of what God wanted
      people to be like (Sanford, John A. "The Kingdom
      Within: The Inner Meaning of Jesus' Sayings," p.
      73). They were the respectable, virtuous people
      in society. Now Jesus compares them to tombs of
      corruption and cups of filth. They hated him for
      stripping away their fa├žade. Jesus had preached
      this earlier in his Sermon on the Mount, "If your
      virtue goes no deeper than that of the scribes and
      Pharisees, you will never get into the kingdom of
      heaven" (Matthew 5:20).

      How are our hearts before God today? Do we need
      some serious spiritual heart surgery? Our greatest
      delusion, Sanford tells us, "is thinking that we
      can avoid the unconscious and solve the moral
      problems of life by creating a righteous exterior,
      or by an ethic of outer obedience to laws. But
      this is of no avail, for God sees into the human
      heart; ruthlessly his eye penetrates into the
      deepest recess of the soul."

      With God, nothing can be kept in darkness. God
      sees all that is done in secret and understands
      our motives better than we understand ourselves.

      God, examine and know us. Read our thoughts.
      Change our hearts. May our virtue be deeper than
      that of the scribes and Pharisees. Amen.