Chi Rho Connection, Vol. II, No. 20

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2001

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 20

      �Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more
      than going to a garage makes you a mechanic.� Unknown

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas,
      and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Featured Book Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse
      2. The First Step
      3. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events
      4. Become an Angel On-line!
      5. New Promissory Notes Available
      6. Don�t Forget These Exciting Products
      7. Adam's Last Word

      1. Featured Book Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse

      �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse� by Dr. Rembert
      Truluck. This book is remarkable for many reasons
      from a publishing standpoint, it is our largest book to
      date with over 550 pages. And it is the fastest selling
      and most popular book Chi Rho Press has ever produced.

      The reasons for the popularity of �Steps� are clear.

      Dr. Truluck speaks the language of ordinary people of
      faith, his book is written in plain language that all
      can understand, and concentrates on the basics, God�s
      creation, love, and redemption of ALL humanity.

      He has identified an important and lethal trend in the
      religious community, the tendency to be legalistic and
      judgmental and to use the faith and the Bible as a weapon
      to hurt people rather than a source of healing and love.

      He concentrates on the Good News of the Bible, Good News
      that is for everyone, not just heterosexual white men.
      Too often LGBT commentators concentrate on defending
      their position that the Bible doesn�t really say anything
      bad about homosexuality. This is true, and Dr. Truluck
      does devote four chapters to the pitifully few verses that
      have been used to condemn LGBT people. He effectively
      counters those who insist that the Bible condemns Gay

      But most of �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse� doesn�t
      dwell on a rebuttal to those who use the Bible to attack
      LGBT people, but rather concentrates on those many
      passages of the Holy Scripture which speak words of love,
      understanding, tolerance, and joy for God�s lesbian, gay,
      bisexual, and transgendered people and those who love them.
      Dr. Truluck proves that the Bible is our friend!

      Lastly, Dr. Truluck offers a 12 Step program to counteract
      a history of Bible abuse in effective and joyful ways.
      The 12 Steps, plus a concluding thirteenth step, lead
      people through the pain inflicted on us by misunderstanding
      of the Bible and legalistic, judgmental religion, and on
      into the peace of God�s love and acceptance. �Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse� leads people from hate to love,
      from fear to confidence, and from pain to joy. It is a
      remarkable journey!

      We invite you to take this journey with us! Buy �Steps
      to Recovery from Bible Abuse� on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using your credit card
      on our secure shopping cart, or by sending $28.45 ($24.95
      plus $3.50 shipping and handling) to Chi Rho Press, P.O.
      Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      And join us in the first Step in the next article.

      2. The First Step

      (From Chapter 6 of �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse,�
      by Dr. Rembert Truluck)

      The First Step: Admit You Have Been Hurt by Religion

      Preparatory Bible Reading: Read Matthew 23:1-15, 24-28,
      and 33 to see how Jesus viewed religious abuse.

      Jesus came to set people free from sick and abusive

      For many people, this step is the hardest one. Religious
      abuse begins early in life and often is caused by parents,
      pastors, and teachers. We accept abuse as acceptable or
      deserved. Abuse is not acceptable and is not deserved.
      Many people see rejecting their childhood religion as
      being like rejecting their own grandmother. Our deep
      emotional ties with our childhood make it very difficult
      for us to be objective about the way in which religion
      was used to control and sometimes abuse us.

      Abuse is the use of power by the strong to control and
      oppress the weak.

      What is sick and abusive religion? Sick and abusive
      religion is the judgmental legalism that Jesus came to
      destroy and to replace with himself. People can become
      addicted to abusive religion.

      Have you ever been abused by religion? What is your
      earliest memory of religious ideas or religious experience?
      How would you describe the religion of your parents when
      you were a child? Can you recall any particular time when
      religion was used to punish or control you? How has
      religion affected your self-esteem? Answering some of
      these questions may be disturbing to you but may also help
      you to gain insight into why it is so difficult for you to
      face the damage that abusive religion has done to you.

      Discussing and sharing these questions with others like
      yourself in a small group can be an enlightening and
      learning time of growth for you. You will discover how
      others have gone through many of the same problems and
      hurts regarding religion just as you have.

      Jesus said, �All who came before me are thieves and
      robbers; but the sheep did not hear them. The thief
      comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that
      you might have life and have life abundantly.� (John
      10:10). �Thieves and robbers� are words that Jesus
      used for abusive religious leaders.

      3. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events

      Sept. 15, Adam DeBaugh will be teaching a beginners
      stained glass class at Holy Redeemer MCC, College Park,
      MD, (www.holy-redeemer-mcc.org), at 10 am. Each
      participant will have the opportunity to make a small
      piece of stained glass, a sun catcher like a cross or
      other design. Another larger work in progress will be
      there on the site for people to see and even work on.
      The cost will be $5.00 to cover the cost of materials.
      If you are in the Maryland, DC, or northern Virginia
      and would like to sign up, please write him at

      Sept. 16, Adam will be participating in a training of
      Scripture readers in worship services at Open Door MCC,
      Boyds, MD, at 11:30 am, following the 10 am morning
      worship service. www.opendoormcc.org

      Sept. 23, the Chi Rho Press Traveling Bookstore will be
      at MCC Richmond, VA. www.mccrichmond.org

      Nov. 9 and 10, the last Mid-Atlantic District Conference,
      Hagerstown, MD. Chi Rho Press will have a book table in
      the Conference Book Store, selling books, handouts,
      stained glass, videos and tapes, and other items.

      Nov. 25, Traveling Bookstore at Imago Dei MCC, Media, PA.

      4. Become an Angel On-line!

      Chi Rho Press continues to develop an effective on-line
      connection with its fans by making its latest change to
      the ministry�s Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. We
      are now able to take contributions on-line.

      The changes to the Web site reflect the Press� efforts to
      build a stronger financial base from which to realize its
      mission. Chi Rho Press is an ecumenical, grass roots
      ministry that provides resources to lesbian, gay, bisexual,
      transgendered, and seeking people of faith and their
      friends and family.

      Over the summer, Chi Rho Press launched its Guardian Angel
      Individual Sponsor Program and has since received the
      support of Angels far and near. The support of Guardian
      Angels will help the Press to publish new books and build
      the ministry.

      To make it easier to contribute to the ministry of Chi Rho
      Press, it is now possible to put contributions on your
      credit card, using our secure shopping cart on our Web

      Go to http://www.chirhopress.com/frame_sponsor.html

      Highlight the numeral 1 in the box and type in the amount
      you want to contribute (for instance, $150 to become a
      Guardian Angel). Click the Add to Cart link to the right
      of the amount box and the Shopping Cart will come up
      and you can either continue shopping or click on Check Out
      Now, which will take you through the check out process,
      asking you for your credit card number, etc. Be sure to
      give us your mailing address as well as e-mail address so
      we can send you your welcome gifts.

      If you have specific questions about the Guardian Angel
      Program, you may e-mail us at Angels@...,
      or telephone us at 301/926-1208.

      Thank you for your support!

      5. New Promissory Notes Available

      The Chi Rho Press Board of Directors has authorized the
      issuance of new Promissory Notes. We have recently paid
      off the first four of the 17 Notes that are outstanding,
      and the Board feels it is timely to offer additional
      notes to continue our full capitalization program.

      As before, $1,000 Promissory Notes are available from
      Chi Rho Press, at 8% simple interest, repaid in eight
      quarterly payments over a two year period.

      Write Adam@... for the text of the Promissory
      Note, or send your check for $1,000 (or $2,000, $3,000,
      or even $5,000!). We will send a signed Note after the
      receipt of your check.

      6. Don�t Forget These Exciting Products

      �The Road to Emmaus� an inclusive daily devotional by and
      for LGBT people of faith, $9.95 each, six or more copies
      for $7.50 each, plus shipping and handling. Please order
      it on our secure shopping cart on our Web site at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. (Subscribers to the Chi Rho
      Connection also receive the Chi Rho Reflection at the
      beginning of each week, featuring a reading from �The Road
      to Emmaus� from that week.)

      Chi Rho Press author and Pennsylvania activist Roberta
      Krieder is now featured in a new video produced by
      John Davis. The new video, 'Family Stories: Journeys of
      Spirit in Mixed Orientation Families' produced by John Davis,
      featuring Roberta Kreider (compiler of �From Wounded
      Hearts�) and Mary Lou Wallner, with an introduction by the
      Rev. Peter J. Gomes. VHS format, color, 35 minutes,
      $29.95, shipping and handling included. It is only
      available through the mail. Please send your check or
      money order for $29.95 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898. Pre-paid orders only please.

      7. Adam's Last Word

      Religion. Why do we even bother? So much evil has been
      perpetrated in the name of religion. Humans have an
      amazing capability of ascribing to God all their worst

      In the Middle East, peace is just a dream as Palestinians
      and Jews alike use terror, violence, and hate as tools of
      religion. The so-called Holy Land is become an unholy
      place of violence, intolerance, and hard-line extremism.

      India and Pakistan are two countries who owe their
      independence and freedom to one of the Twentieth
      Centuries true saints of non-violence, Mahandas Ghandi.
      But what have we seen since independence? Indian Hindus
      and Pakistani Muslims locked in a bitterly violent struggle
      fueled by religious and ethnic fanaticism.

      In Afghanistan, the Muslim government is not content with
      blowing up Buddhist shrines and temples, they are now
      prosecuting Christians. Afghan citizens who are found
      guilty of proselytising for Christianity face the death

      And lest we smugly think that Christians have escaped
      faith-based hate, just look at Northern Ireland where
      a watching world has been treated to the disgusting
      spectacle of Protestant adults cursing, spitting, throwing
      stones and bottles, and on Wednesday a bomb at Catholics.
      And were those attacked Catholic para-military troops from
      the IRA, or even Catholic politicians and leaders, or
      priests? No. The targets of these sincere, passionate,
      'holy' Protestants are little girls and their mothers,
      on their way to a Catholic elementary school.

      I have never been so disgusted in my life.

      Of course, this is all happening overseas, isn't it?
      Americans would never be guilty of this kind of extremism.

      It was newly arrived American Christians who committed
      genocide against the native peoples whose only crime was
      that they were here first. It was good people of faith
      who brought Africans in chains to this country to live as
      chattel in slavery. It was American Protestants who put
      up signs that read 'Irish and Dogs Forbidden.' It was
      good Christian Americans who perpetrated the sin of
      segregation against African Americans and fought against
      the Civil Rights Movement, even bombing Black churches.
      And it is religious people who are in the vanguard of
      the war against sexual minorities in this country.

      Jesus wept!

      What is it about religion that brings out the worst in
      people? Why does belief result in intolerance? Simply
      because I believe in Jesus Christ, why would I want to
      kill people who don't happen to agree with me? Yes, Jesus
      Saves. But some of Jesus' followers have been known to
      kill, if you are not saved.

      I am a person of faith. I am a Christian. I am a
      Protestant. I am a member of Metropolitan Community
      Church. I am an active member of Holy Redeemer MCC,
      College Park, Maryland. I am proud of my church and
      proud of the message of tolerance and love preached

      But when I read the news from around the world I am
      dismayed at what people of faith can do in the name
      of their religion. These atrocities are as far away
      as Afghanistan, the Indian Subcontinent, and Northern
      Ireland, but also as close as Fred Phelps' web site
      (www.GodHatesFags.com), the Southern Baptist Convention,
      certain polyester patriarchs among the television
      evangelists, and the church down the street, the
      fundamentalist Christian at the office, the bigoted

      The God I know and worship is a God of love. Like
      Queen Victoria, I am sure God is not amused at the
      religious violence all around the world. My Jesus
      would truly weep over the spectacle of Protestant
      Christians throwing epithets and stones at little
      Catholic girls.

      I know, I know. Most Muslims, most Hindus, most Jews,
      most Christians are good, God-fearing, non-violent
      people. They are following God in the right way, the
      way of peace, justice, and love. I am confident I am
      right about God being a God of love.

      But it is difficult to be confident about being right,
      with so many people of faith around the world being so
      wrong. As for me, give me Jesus Christ. Religion, I am
      not so sure about.

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to

      For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,

      Copyright 2001, Chi Rho Press, Inc.

      SUBSCRIBE: ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh
      Chi Rho Press
      Subscribe to Chi Rho Connection, our free electronic newsletter

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our convenient shopping
      cart and pay on line using your credit card!

      Gaithersburg, MD 20898, USA

      301/926-1208 (phone/fax)