Chi Rho Reflection for the week of Sept. 2, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2001
      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Vanessa Moore.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Mark 14:66-72

      "... the bystanders said to Peter, 'Certainly you are
      one of them; for you are a Galilean.' But he began to
      invoke a curse on himself and to answer, 'I do not know
      this Jesus of whom you speak.'"

      If asked the question, 'Do you know Jesus Christ?' most
      of us would not deny it. Of course, most of us aren't
      asked the question directly. Indirectly, however, the
      question is asked of us many times. We are asked the
      question whenever we see someone hungry and homeless.
      We are asked the question whenever we are called upon to
      recognize each person's worth as a child of God. We are
      asked the question whenever we are confronted with hatred
      and oppression. Whatever the situation, if we respond
      with violence, or with contempt, we are denying Christ.
      If we choose to do what is Christ-like, we are saying,
      'Yes, I do know Jesus Christ.'

      We come to know Jesus Christ by acknowledging God's
      presence within ourselves and within each other. We
      come to know Christ through prayer, meditation, and the
      study of Scripture. We come to know Christ through
      worship and the sharing of the good news of the Gospel.

      As we come to know Christ more fully within ourselves
      and within our community, Christ moves to the center
      of our relationships and they are transformed. As we
      claim Christ's love and forgiveness for ourselves, we
      are able to extend that same love and forgiveness to
      our other relationships.

      Whenever we follow the path of Christ, we are saying
      'yes' to God's working in our life. Like Peter, we may
      deny Christ at times. Like Peter, we will be forgiven
      if we do. God works through weakness, as Peter's life
      testifies: From denying Christ, he went on to become the
      leader of the early Christian church. Knowing Jesus
      Christ does not require us to be flawless persons. God
      asks only that we begin to say 'yes' more than we say
      'no.'

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Purchase �The Road to Emmaus� from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,