Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 29, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 29, 2010

      By what authority?

      "When Jesus entered the temple, the chief priests
      and the elders of the people came to him as he was
      teaching, and said, 'By what authority are you doing
      these things, and who gave you this authority?'"
      Matthew 21:23

      The chief priests and religious elders want to know
      where Jesus had received his theological authority.
      He was a mere upstart, an itinerant and unschooled
      street preacher in their opinion. They, on the
      other hand, were trained scholars and had dedicated
      their lives to maintaining the strict standards of
      the religious purity of their faith. So these
      critics were throwing down the gauntlet. How dare
      Jesus teach with such authority and upset their
      cherished religious traditions? Who did he think
      he was to challenge their powerful influence on
      the people?

      Jesus was well aware of the chief priests and
      religious elders' hostility. As the story continues,
      he astutely answers his enemies with a theological
      question based on the prior teachings of John the
      Baptist. The frustrated priests and elders have
      a heated discussion among themselves. No matter
      how they answer, Jesus has cleverly put them in an
      uncomfortable spot where public opinion would flow
      in his favor. Finally the thwarted leaders avoid
      any more public debate and admit ignorance to the
      question Jesus had posed to them about John the
      Baptist.

      These questioning priests and elders offer a valuable
      insight for us as they question the authority of
      Christ. There have been times in my own spiritual
      journey when I have questioned and doubted him. I
      clearly remember part of my journey involved a time
      when I overtly rejected any of his teachings, turned
      my back on Jesus, and fled away from anything even
      remotely Christian. I personally needed time to
      look at other worldviews and spiritual traditions
      while experiencing life as a young adult. My journey
      to faith involved years of skepticism before I got on
      my knees in prayer one day, and admitted I needed
      whatever Jesus Christ had for my life. I knew once
      I did, the divine authority of his words would change
      my life forever.

      What about you and your spiritual journey? How have
      you struggled with faith in God and the teachings of
      Jesus Christ? What and who is the spiritual authority
      in your life? Does this divine influence empower and
      energize you? If not, perhaps it is time to reexamine
      your personal beliefs and spiritual practices.

      God, we are all on a spiritual journey searching for
      meaning and purpose. Bless our memories and reflections
      today as we consider the authority of Jesus. We live
      in a confusing world where many conflicting deities of
      choice abound. Help us this day to determine whose we
      are and who we are. Amen.