Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 8, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 8, 2010

      Beloved

      "While Jesus was still speaking, suddenly a bright
      cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice
      said, 'This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am
      well pleased; listen to him!'"
      Matthew 17:5

      Jesus is preparing for his pending death on the cross.
      He needs to go up to the mountain and talk with God
      and gather spiritual strength, wisdom, and
      encouragement. He brings along Peter, James, and
      his brother John. Before their stunned eyes, Jesus
      becomes transfigured, that is, becomes shining,
      radiant, and dazzling. The three astonished men
      probably think they are hallucinating, for they see
      Moses and Elijah talking with Jesus. Peter babbles
      something ridiculous to Jesus and suddenly the men
      are shrouded in a brilliantly bright cloud where
      they hear a heavenly voice, "This is my Son, the
      Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!"

      The transfiguration of Jesus is recorded in three
      Gospels (Matthew 17:1-13, Mark 9:2-8, and Luke 9:28-
      36). If you have time, read all three accounts. It
      is a wonderful and marvelous story offering us many
      insights to ponder.

      The disciples are overcome by fear and fall to the
      ground. Jesus comes and touches them, encouraging
      them to get up and to not be afraid. When they rise
      up, all they see is Jesus. Moses and Elijah are
      gone. As they return to the valley, Jesus orders
      the three men to keep silent about this moment until
      after he suffers, dies, and is later raised from the
      dead. How confused they must have been.

      The story of Jesus' transfiguration is still difficult
      to understand even now. What I do understand is that
      Jesus is God's Beloved Son. I am to listen to him.
      And so are you.

      God, help us listen to your Beloved Child. Amen.