Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 18, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 18, 2010

      Fishing nets

      Jesus taught, "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like
      a net that was thrown into the sea and caught fish
      of every kind; when it was full, they drew it ashore,
      sat down, and put the good into baskets but threw out
      the bad. So it will be at the end of the age. The
      angels will come out and separate the evil from the
      righteous and throw them into the furnace of fire,
      where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
      Matthew 13:47-50

      Readers may easily skim over selected parts of the
      teachings of Jesus when the teachings make us
      uncomfortable. Anything with judgment, consequences,
      weeping, and the end of time as we know it should
      cause us to pause and ask some questions. What
      does this mean? Where am I in this story? What
      is Jesus saying? Does this mean anything in my
      life? Is there something I need to change?

      Once again we learn that the kingdom of heaven is
      huge, like the largest fishing net the world will
      ever know. Every kind of fish will be caught and
      eventually be sorted. Good fish will be kept, but
      the bad fish will be thrown away at the end of time.
      A day of judgment will come. Evil will be thrown
      into the fire where there will be weeping and
      gnashing of teeth.

      Where are we in this parable? Diogenes (412-323 BC),
      a Greek philosopher, once said, "We have two ears
      and only one tongue in order that we hear more and
      speak less." Certainly we can argue this parable's
      meaning. Today, let us just hear it.

      God, let me just sit with this parable today and
      hear it with new understanding. Amen.