Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 20, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 20, 2010

      Fear Not

      "So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered up
      that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that
      will not become known. What I say to you in the
      dark, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered,
      proclaim from the housetops. Do not fear those who
      kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear
      him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are
      not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of
      them will fall to the ground unperceived by your
      Creator. And even the hairs of your head are all
      counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value
      than many sparrows."
      Matthew 10:26-31

      Sometime ago I was preparing a sermon on fear. One
      commentary mentioned the Bible specifically teaches
      us to "fear not" in more than 300 scripture references.
      I find that greatly encouraging. I have experienced
      violence at both knifepoint and gunpoint and have
      felt paralyzing fear. Yet Jesus is telling us to
      "fear not." Do not be afraid of evil perpetrators
      of violence. Rather, revere and fear God who can
      destroy body and soul. I have to confess that this
      is easier said than done.

      Look at the birds. Once again we are reminded that
      not one will fall to the ground without our heavenly
      Parent's will and consent. Even the hairs on our
      head are numbered. So do not fear. We are worth
      more than many little birds. We are deeply valued
      by God. Be strong and of good courage. Fear not.
      God is with us. We will not be left alone in our
      hour of need.

      God, help us not be afraid. Thank you for valuing
      us so highly. Amen.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLivingAsTheBelove
      d.htm