Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 13, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12 9:00 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 13, 2010

      A critical shortage of workers

      "Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages,
      teaching in their synagogues, and proclaiming the
      good news of the kingdom, and curing every disease
      and every sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had
      compassion for them, because they were harassed and
      helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he
      said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful,
      but the labourers are few.'"
      Matthew 9:35-37

      Believe it or not, Jesus is asking for our
      compassionate prayers. We are to pray for workers
      willing to share God's loving message with others.
      The apostle Paul makes a similar profound
      observation in 1 Corinthians 1:26-31. God is
      looking for people who are often considered
      inconsequential by the standards of our societies.
      God often chooses the foolish, the weak, the lowly,
      and the despised to bring the liberating and
      inclusive good news from Jesus Christ into our
      world. God delights in using ordinary people
      in extraordinary ways. The bottom line is that
      we be humble and available to God's call in our
      lives. And we are to pray for many workers.

      I preached this message of outreach and mission at
      an evangelical church many years ago as their guest
      preacher. After the worship service, an angry and
      indignant woman rushed up to me with her husband
      reluctantly following behind her. "How dare you,"
      she wagged her finger in my face. "How dare you
      preach this to us? Just who do you think you are?
      You are nothing, nobody." Her embarrassed husband
      later apologized to me for her rude behavior,
      puzzled at his wife's tirade against me. Later
      I would discover she had been under a counselor's
      care. Even so, her words gave me pause for
      reflection. Yes, she was correct. I fall into
      the category specified by the apostle Paul. By
      the world's standards, I am weak, lowly, sometimes
      despised, and actually quite ordinary. But I am
      willing to be used by God in extraordinary ways.
      Are you?

      The harvest is great. The need is enormous. Who
      will go? Who will share Jesus with others? Crowds
      of searching people seek spiritual truth. How will
      they hear if we do not speak? Faith comes by hearing.
      We are called to be messengers of God's peace through
      Jesus Christ. We are to tell our stories of faith
      and pray for others to share their faith stories.

      For several years I worshipped in a large Christian
      church of primarily gay and lesbian members known
      as the Metropolitan Community Church of Washington,
      D.C. (MCC-DC). In the sanctuary was a rainbow chair,
      which was always left empty. The chair was a silent
      reminder that many people around the world had not
      yet heard of God's compassionate loving message
      through Jesus Christ. People are searching in
      every town, village, and city. They have not yet
      met Jesus Christ, the Good Shepherd of our souls.

      How dare we be silent? How dare we keep the good
      news of God to ourselves and not share with others
      who hunger for spiritual food and drink? How dare
      we turn our backs and silence our voices? We are
      often our own people's best missionaries, for we
      hear the cry of their hearts. How dare we not pray
      for them to experience God's peace, through Christ?
      Just who does Jesus think he is, asking us to pray
      for others?

      God, open our eyes to see your searching people.
      Help us compassionately share Jesus, the Good
      Shepherd, with others. Amen.